Lactose intolerance
lfb
I have recently found out that my DD is lactose intolerant.  I am breastfeeding and have been cutting all dairy from my diet.  I am trying to supplement with lactose free formula, but she hates it.  I don't know how long I can eat this way.  What are your suggestions?  Anna is 6 weeks and I go back to work in one month.
You don't have to cut out all dairy, just some. There are plenty of dairy foods that don't seem to cause problems like cottage cheese, yogurt, some regular cheese, etc. My big offenders were wilk and ice cream or large amounts of cheddar. I did switch to Lactaid milk with my first two, but didn't need to with my second. You can also take lactaid pills with your first bite of dairy and it helps dramatically. I would do that if I wanted a decaf breve and my munchkins didn't have the crampiness or gas associated with lactose issues.

Lactose is in breastmilk, it is a sugar that is naturally found in dairy.  I am kinda surprised what you are eating is effecting her.  Because my understanding is that breastmilk is basically the same as what is found in your blood (like alcohol, nicotine, etc.  However that foods don't really effect it, like make it gassy and the like.)
Yes, actually it does affect your milk. And the lactose in breastmilk is not the same as in cow's milk. So lactose intolernce as most people consider it doesn't apply to breastmilk unless you consume cow's milk products. Any food that gives you gas will almost certainly give your baby troubles as well.

Perhaps that is something to consider if you have been having issues with a fussy baby. I am stunned no one told you that what you eat does affect your baby.

And in my first comment i meant I haven't had to drink lactose free milk or take lactaid pills with my third : )
tmv
Check out this website. You'll find some good advice beginning with having the baby empty the first breast completely and other items: http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/lacintolerance.htm

Hope this helps some.
See everything I read on the internet (because my mom swears that broccoli gives the baby gas if I nurse) said that it wasn't passed through breastmilk.  That in fact only things like alcohol, drugs, nicotine, caffeine, etc did pass but that the other stuff was wives tales... I never paid much attention to that with breastfeeding my first two children either.  Is there a list somewhere that I could look at as far as foods to avoid?  Hmmm might make my own post about this instead of highjacking this one.