Lactose Intolerance Community
lactose intolerance

Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest lactose. Lactose is a type of sugar found in milk and other dairy products. The. purpose of the community is to share support and information with Lactose Intolerant patients, their loved ones and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Lactose Intolerance, prognosis, research, and treatments.

lactose intolerance

Can someone become lactose intolerant as they get older. I have noticed lately when I eat certain dairy products sometimes I get stomach cramps and gassy and loose stools. How do I figure out if  have become lactose intolerant.
I don't know how old you are so please don't resent me when I say that a lot of seniors don't realize that they have suddenly become Lactose Intolerant, and don't even bother to mention these symptoms to their doctor since they just figure diarrhea, gas etc. is just part of aging.  Milk in their coffee, milk in cereal. . . just carrying on as usual.

This Lactose Intolerant issue should be made more public.  
I was in my 40's when I began this terrible trek.  It took me more than 20 yrs to decide to do my own research.  Lo and behold.  There's a title for this malady !  LOL  Titles help because it means there are others like us.
It happened to me so I would say it is likely.
I was just diagnosed and I'm 42. I love milk and dairy products, and I sure do miss them! I was a 2 glasses a milk per day drinker until BAM! I had all the symptoms you described plus some!!
I just turned 72 and in the last 3 months have had huge bouts of nausea but also bloating, gassy and burping. I'm read cramping but I don't have that. I went off dairy for about 10 days and was ok. Ate cheese and milk and was ok so assumed I was ok. Tonight I ate a big bowl of ice cream and wham..nausea so bad.
I just turned 80, and have had some digestive issues, such as nausea, bloating and diarrhea during the last few years, often in connection with my hobby of running ultramarathons, which suggested a late-life onset of lactose intolerance.  As an experiment, I started using the chewable lactase supplements (Lactaid, etc.) before meals, and that seems to have taken care of the problem, which seems like prima facie evidence of LI, although I haven't been tested or diagnosed.