Learning Disabilities Expert Forum
Help for my 12 year old son
About This Forum:

Questions in the Learning Disability Forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics include: Assessment and Diagnosis, Behavioral Issues, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Language-Speech Issues, Living With Learning Disabilities, Parenting, School Issues, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Help for my 12 year old son

Hi my 12 year old son has had special educational needs since he was 5 years old.he is just about to start secondary school and he still cannot read or spell he gets very frustrated about this,and starts calling himself stupid and then runs off crying.he also hits out at his brothers and sisters.He finds it hard to follow a 2 part instruction and forgets what he has to do,the school has just told me he is doing well but he will fall behind at senior school,he won't have friends,as this is to much for him to deal with.(his words).he also writes his words back to front and mixes them up like LOTS is LOST he is a fantastic artist and fab at sport but he is now getting very anxious about school and his temper is getting worse can anyone suggest any ideas to help my son.we all work as a family unit trying to help one another but a little extra advice will be good thank-you
Related Discussions
521840_tn?1348844371
Hello,
   it sounds like your son is understandably frustrated, and that he needs some help coping with his disability. I am not surprised that he is anxious and angry, however this does not mean you have to tolerate his behavior. I would strongly recommend you meet with a psychologist who specializes in adolescents (at this age, a male might be your best choice). Psychologists regularly help adolescents learn to cope with their anxiety and moods. Psychologists also help parents learn how to effectively manage behavior. I recommend seeing a psychologist first instead of a counselor, because further testing may be indicated to determine if the school is meeting his needs adequately. Psychologists do both testing and therapy. Your pediatrician can refer you to a professional who will meet your needs.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik
1 Comment
Blank
HI,

I have a son who is 12 and is going through the same thing, sometimes I feel you can talk to all the psychologist you want, but all they are going to do is blame the child. I do know that the schools just let these children fall through the cracks. I would like to suggest something that did help my son (although he still has problems he is coping better). Get the book Unicorns are real, this will help, in there you will find out when he comes home from school have a desk covered with the color he likes most. This will help him consentrate, also make sure you sit with the counsilors at the school have an IEP or 504 plan so he will get all the help he needs, but make sure he stays amin streamed with the other children, this will not only help him but make him feel part of the class not different. Also if your son is anything like mine sometimes if they take a oral test rather than a written test might be helpful. My son can repreat anything you tell him, but when you tell him to put it on paper he gets frustrated and he cannot remember. I hope this helped. If you ever need me let me know. I will keep an eye out. MRichardson_23321***@****.
Take Care.
Blank
A related discussion, Brain-Related Disabilities was started.
Blank
A related discussion, learning disabilities was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
5624042_tn?1372200166
Tali Shenfield, PhDBlank
Richmond Hill Psychology Center
Richmond Hill, ON,
521840_tn?1348844371
Rebecca Resnik, PsyDBlank
MindWell Clinical Psychology
Bethesda, MD
MedHelp Health Answers