Learning Disabilities Expert Forum
Information Retention Issues
About This Forum:

Questions in the Learning Disability Forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics include: Assessment and Diagnosis, Behavioral Issues, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Language-Speech Issues, Living With Learning Disabilities, Parenting, School Issues, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Information Retention Issues

I am suffering from this memoryMemory loss
Mental status tests problem, where i forget everything i read college. The things that i learn last for 24-48 hours and then start fading out to a point, where after 1 week, i dont remember anything. I am 27, very healthy, do regular workouts, take good care of my diet. Stopped smoking in Dec 2007 after 6 years of regular a pack a day smoking. I can retin information for 24-48 hours and then.. nothing. I am engineering student and its of utmost importance to me to be able to retain information. Please help me....
521840_tn?1348844371
Hello,
   I wonder if this is a new issue or one that you have had for a long time. If it is part of a longstanding pattern of learning or memory problems, you may have a disability. If so, a psychologist can test you to learn more. It may also be that your current program may not be a good match for your strengths and weaknesses, perhaps it is time to take a reduced course load or rethink your choice of major.

If these memory problems are ones that have come on suddenly, I would strongly recommend you visit your primary care physician and describe your symptoms in as much detail as you can. Your physician will determine if you should be referred to a neurologist or psychiatrist.

Either way, I would not ignore these symptoms, and would speak to a professional as soon as you can. You may be able to see someone for a reduced fee at your campus health center.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik
2 Comments
Blank
Thankyou much for this information. This started like couple of years ago, i started losing my memory. Now i am gaining some of it back, because i started eating almonds, soaked in water overnight and also taking almond oil regularly. Its working a bit, but its working too slow for me. My uni has started and mere 4-6 months, i will be taking extremely advanced engineering classes. I cannot change major, b/c its just not a major for me, its my passion :)
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank