Learning Disabilities Expert Forum
My 9 year old step daughter is out of control
About This Forum:

Questions in the Learning Disability Forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics include: Assessment and Diagnosis, Behavioral Issues, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Language-Speech Issues, Living With Learning Disabilities, Parenting, School Issues, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My 9 year old step daughter is out of control

My step-daughter is out of control when she comes to our house. She spends the first day or so bad mouthing her bio-mom and step-dad and telling elaborate stories of what they make her do ie: clean her room etc. Then the next day or so she is absolutley so rude. We cannot get her to follow rules in house. Every few minutes or so she is saying very rejecting and mean things to us both. Bio-dad and me (step-mom). She screams and cries so loud when she is taking a bath bacause she wants me to assist her. I help her every step of the way if she asks. She has a complete meltdown if water gets on her back when we have just dried off after the bath. She says "I can't do and I can't do that" continuously. For example: When we ask her to put her shoes on she says "I can't" in a very whining voice. She starts stomping her feet and kicking. If we ask her to help us open the door when our hands are full she says I can't. It is simply a light weight glass door with a handle in reach. She complains constantly. I don't have this toy and I can't go here or there. I don't like the food. I can't sleep alone. I don't like these clothes. I don't like these socks. There's a spider in my room. My tummy hurts. I have a scratch on my leg. She screams and cries and we are just at our wits end. What is going on with her?