Learning Disabilities Expert Forum
Normal behavior for a three year old
About This Forum:

Questions in the Learning Disability Forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics include: Assessment and Diagnosis, Behavioral Issues, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Language-Speech Issues, Living With Learning Disabilities, Parenting, School Issues, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Normal behavior for a three year old

My three year old is completely different from my older son.  He is constantly talking and repeating the same simple statements like "it's dark outside".  He talks repeatively and it seems like he never stops talking.  He even talk to himself when he is playing alone.  He repeats everything a person says whenever other people are talking around him.  He is constantly falling down and running into things.  He hits his head on things all the time (not on purpose, but by running into things).  He is extremely clingly towards his father.  He can not play alone for more than 5 minutes.  If we are in a different room than the kids, he will always make his way into the room and will just sit and play in the room.  He doesn't play with his toys nor can he sit and watch TV.  He is constantly just moving around and hitting things.  He has to be told to do things at least 4 or 5 times before he will do them.  I'm not sure if this is normal behavior for a three year old (almost 4 in November).  It's like I have to tell him the same things everyday.  In school he doesn't not want to do follow directions from his teachers and wants to do what he wants to do.  I also am concerned that he is so comfortable around strangers.  He will give complete strangers hugs and kisses.  I have told him to stop this many many times.  He will talk to anyone and everyone when we are in public.  I don't really know if I'm over-reacting or if my son needs help.  Please help!