Learning Disabilities Expert Forum
Scared of Strangers

Questions in the Learning Disability Forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics include: Assessment and Diagnosis, Behavioral Issues, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Language-Speech Issues, Living With Learning Disabilities, Parenting, School Issues, Social Development

Scared of Strangers

Hi Rebecca,  Thanks for your information or should I say words of wisdom....
I do always pick her up and say "it's ok Mummy's here"  But I will also try singing to her.  From birth I have always sung ' Over the Rainbow'  to her when she wouldn't settle or if she was upset so I might bring it into practice for these situations aswell.  I also have another question...  Next week we will be going back home for a holiday and to visit family, so we have two 9 hour international flights and  six domestic flights ( approx 1 to 2 hours each.) I will be travelling with my husband on one international flight but the rest of them I'll be on my own with my daughter.  I have asked the airlines to not seat me near any men if possible but they can't guarantee it. I will be taking lots of toys, books, ect to keep her occupied but incase she gets scared on the flights do you have any suggestions.  Also she will be seeing and meeting alot of friends and family members for the first time so i'm sure she's going to get upset. Will this help in her development or makes matters worse?   I will always try to introduce her to people in a fun and social way but this may not always work out, What is your opinion?  Thankyou so much for your help.
    it sounds like the trip will be much harder on you then on her! Though I am the last one to recommend more television in children's lives, you can rent or purchase a small DVD player that she can watch on her tray table. Choose a DVD that is slow paced and soothing, like Teletubbies or Curious Buddies. This can be a lifesaver. She will probably sleep on the plane, many children are lulled by the engine sounds. While some people recommend giving children benedryl to make them sleep, its best to be very cautious about this. First, she's too young to take it without reviewing the decision with your pediatrician, and second, it can actually cause excitation in some children. Finally, bring her most familiar beloved objects as well as lots of diapers, food and drink (you never know when you could be delayed for an hour or so on a runway).

As to her stranger anxiety at the social events, my guess is that she will adapt if people keep their distance until she is ready to engage with them. Just try hard to stick to familiar meal time, bathing, and bedtime routines as much as possible.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik