Learning Disabilities Expert Forum
learning difficulties

Questions in the Learning Disability Forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics include: Assessment and Diagnosis, Behavioral Issues, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Language-Speech Issues, Living With Learning Disabilities, Parenting, School Issues, Social Development

learning difficulties
since i was a child i have had learning difficulties i went to special schools . now im a adult i still find it hard to understand certain things and i have got very bad concentration levels if smeone is explaining to me about something i cant keep up with them dont matter how slow the are telling me and if someone thing distracts me aswell thats even worse. also when i try  to explain something to someone i know what i want to say in my head but it comes out all wrong and i gat mixed up and stutter aswell its really frustrating most of the time and it can be embarrasing if you are chatting to someone you hardly no i do get frustrated because i want to try and control it but i cant . does anyone else suffer with this and if so how  do they get on in life. i would be very grateful if anyone can help me here  and tell me why this keeps happening .
maria
   this does sound like a very frustrating problem. I assume you attended special schools because you were diagnosed with a disability, though if you attended prior to the passage of the Education for All Handicapped Children Act (1975) you may not have ever had an assessment. If you attended public special education schools in the 80s or later, you certainly were tested at some point and diagnosed. Your parents may have these records stored. If there are no records, than the only way to truly know what could explain your difficulties is to seek a psychological evaluation or neuropsychological assessment (battery of tests to determine how you learn, process information, encode and remember, sustain attention etc.). Your primary care physician can refer you for such testing.

Stuttering is a different matter. Speech language pathologists and some psychologists treat stuttering. These professionals can help you learn different strategies of relaxing, breathing, and thinking about how you produce speech in order to minimize stuttering. Again, your primary care physician will be the person to refer you for treatment.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik
A related discussion, confused was started.
A related discussion, adult with disability was started.