Learning Disabilities Expert Forum
my 18 month old doesn't walk
About This Forum:

Questions in the Learning Disability Forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics include: Assessment and Diagnosis, Behavioral Issues, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Language-Speech Issues, Living With Learning Disabilities, Parenting, School Issues, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

my 18 month old doesn't walk

my 18 month old daughter met all her milestones except for walking. up until a month ago she was only crawling and if made to stand, she would do so with difficulty and pain for only a few minutes. a friend suggested that i massage her legs with olive oil, after this therapy, now at 18 months, she's started to pull herself up on low objects and can stand for as long as 20 minutes without pain, can crawl up stairs and even take a few hesitant/reluctant steps with the help of her push walker. other than than she's a very happy active, playful baby with a geed appetite. but even she's only 9 kg and a head shorter than most toddlers her age. also, i've noticed her feet are very slightly turned inwards. please give me your diagnosis on my daughter
Related Discussions
521840_tn?1348844371
Hello,
    if your child is in pain while trying to stand and walk, this needs to be brought to your pediatrician's attention immediately. She is late to stand and walk, though it sounds like she is progressing, and that is a good sign. Nevertheless, she may benefit from physical therapy to help her move forward. She should be evaluated by a physical therapist (this service is offered through your local school system's early childhood intervention program free of charge, or your pediatrician can make a referral). The pediatrician and the physical therapist can evaluate her for structural abnormalities, coordination problems, or high/low muscle tone.

While I am sure the massage was very soothing to her, it is most likely the passage of time and her  physical/cognitive maturation that caused a change in her abilities. By all means continue to do it if it gives you both pleasure, but seek a professional assessment and treatment as soon as you can.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
5624042_tn?1372200166
Tali Shenfield, PhDBlank
Richmond Hill Psychology Center
Richmond Hill, ON,
521840_tn?1348844371
Rebecca Resnik, PsyDBlank
MindWell Clinical Psychology