Learning Disabilities Expert Forum
my 7 year old daughter
About This Forum:

Questions in the Learning Disability Forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics include: Assessment and Diagnosis, Behavioral Issues, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Language-Speech Issues, Living With Learning Disabilities, Parenting, School Issues, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

my 7 year old daughter

my child was born premature at 25 wks gest. she started the develop. prog. at 18 mths & started going to preschool at 3 yrs. for yrs i was told her development would be lacking because of her prematureity.but now that she is 7 i am worried about how she is developing. she is socially lacking far behind,she talks to herself infront of her peers she has no friends and she will sit in the back seat of a full car of people and talk to herself constantly. her teachers feel there is a problem but the nuerologist says that she is just developmentally delayed.she shows very little to no emotion on her bday or xmas.she has nightmares & she doesnt sleep sometimes.she doesnt grasp sarcasm,she asks why alot for her age eventhough she should know the answer,i am around her alot and so are her teachers and if they feel there is a problem i will believe them over a nuerologist that saw her one time. last year a girl was spitting at her on the bus,but she still considered her a friend.she has no concept of what a friend is.the teachers say she shows no enthuaism about being in school.the teachers thought that it might be ADD or autism.she can get herself dressed it might take awhile but she can do it.she eats slowly.she has broken stuff on accident.she just turned 7 in aug.when people talk to her she doesnt answer them most of the time,and looks at me for guildance.if i yell at her she will almost immediately cry.i would say that she acts silly when she shouldnt,if i am trying to talk to her seriously.if she sees me cry she will sometimes laugh at me.i have looked up aspergers but those children have average intelligence and she doesnt.i was curious about dyspraxia do you have any ideas?or just leave her alone?i know by the time children are 10 there social skills have matured and i am just worried that hers never will.
thank you!