Learning Disabilities Expert Forum
struggling with the past
About This Forum:

Questions in the Learning Disability Forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics include: Assessment and Diagnosis, Behavioral Issues, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Language-Speech Issues, Living With Learning Disabilities, Parenting, School Issues, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

struggling with the past

hi.. I am 21 years old(MARRIED)and  I am struggling from my past.It is all about with my brother who died last year, I felt so bad that until now I thought I didn't help him,he was at a very complicated situation and even though I tried to help him,my family said,there is no cure..I am the breadwinner of the family and when he got sick I didn't have that money for him to be confine at the hospital.He died and now I am having guilt of what had happened..and now I am having a hard time sleeping coz everytime I slept good, I always have a bad dream and I felt so guilty of what had happened..and weird coz I always wanted the lights on while I'm sleeping,which I am pretty scared of coz I am not like this before.I got migraine,thinking all this stuff..I've been struggling this for more or less, a year.I need help..please give me some advice..thanks a lot..
Related Discussions
521840_tn?1348844371
Hello,
   your symptoms are common for people who are having trouble grieving a significant loss, so know that you are not alone. The good news is that psychotherapy (from a psychologist, licensed professional counselor or licensed social worker) has an excellent chance to help you grieve, learn to manage your moods, and regain your ability to sleep. You are clearly suffering and deserve care.

You will want to make an appointment with your primary care physician to determine if you are in fact having migraines. Your primary care doctor will be able to assess your symptoms and determine how best to manage them (because migraines have to do with blood vessel pressure changes in the brain, they are treated differently from stress/tension headaches). During your appointment, ask your physician to refer you for psychotherapy. He/She should know some clinicians who specialize in grieving.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
5624042_tn?1372200166
Tali Shenfield, PhDBlank
Richmond Hill Psychology Center
Richmond Hill, ON,
521840_tn?1348844371
Rebecca Resnik, PsyDBlank
MindWell Clinical Psychology