Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
17-year-old nervous about lymphoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

17-year-old nervous about lymphoma

Hello everyone!
I'll start at the beginning. About this time last year I had a bad case of tonsillitis which naturally made the lymph nodes in my neck swell up significantly. Since then, it's felt like they have not really gone down. There's 4 or 5 under my jaw that are quite firm. They're symmetrical on both sides and seem to fluctuate in size quite a lot. On the left side of my neck there is another lump but it feels different. It moves more readily and almost seems like it runs away from my fingers. It is hard, though, but doesn't seem to grow.
In August I noticed a hard (what I'm assuming) is a lymph node in the right side of my groin. It moves slightly and is quite circular. It doesn't seem to have grown much and again, fluctuates in size. There is another, smaller one in that side of my groin also.
I've lost quite a lot of weight over the last 6 months but I am not sure if this could be a symptom or just because I haven't been eating as much. I have no other symptoms, no night sweats or itching or anything.
I intend to go and see a doctor as soon as I can but does this sound like its likely to be lymphoma to anyone?
Thank-you very much!
Hi, a lymphoma is possible but the odds are more likely that it would be infection. It would be truly alarming if they continued to grow and grow. Nodes might not go down of they are internally scarred when an infection occurred inside the node (e.g. cat scratch fever).

I would go see a doctor, but wouldn't envision the worst while waiting for the appt. Good luck.
Thank-you very much for your reply! I'm going to see the doctor in a couple of weeks when my parents have returned home. I won't expect the worst, thank-you!