Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
6 months with no answers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

6 months with no answers

Don't know where to turn anymore. I will try to make this short...I am 27 years old, have lots of cancer in the family, my mother was diagnosed with Hodgkin's when she was 27, and the whole line of her family died from leukemia and other cancers.
Lymph nodes in my neck swelled up in April, so bad I couldn't swallow. Blood work showed high sedimentation rate, low neutrophils and high lymphocytes with everything else being normal. Ultrasound of my neck shows lymph node at 2.5cm size, thyroid is larger than normal. Doc sends me to have hormone levels checked. Blood work shows antiTG and antiTPO 350 and 150 times the normal amount. T3, T4, TSH levels are normal. I am diagnosed with Hashimoto's and told to check hormones every 6 months and come back when TSH level is more than 5 so they can put me on meds. I am put on amoxicilin for the lymph nodes. 3 weeks go by and I am still sick, still sore, neck is swollen. I go back to the doc and again I'm told it's just a cold/flu and am given cipro this time. A month later I am put on a third round of antibiotics. In July I finally feel a bit better, the lymph node decreased but was still present. My mom dies, I get a divorce, and am overcome by stress and worry. My health seems fine until August when I get "sick" again. Constant dry irritating cough, occasional runny nose, headaches on a daily basis, and overall fatigue. Since August these symptoms have grown worse and worse. In September I end up in the ER after spending literally close to two hours vomiting. I go to the ER completely dehydrated and barely standing on my feet. On the spot, bloodwork shows wbc 17,100. I'm kept in observation for an hour and put on IV with antibiotics. Two hours later my wbc drops to 16,400 and they send me home assuming it will continue to drop. Next morning, wbc drops to 7800 and they tell me to see a gastro doctor. Next few days I feel weak and lightheaded. Week later I get horrible diarrhea lasting almost 3 days. At this point I've lost about 6 pounds since the first week of September. I get my blood checked for the Hashimoto's a few days later and again my neutrophil count is low, lymphocyte count is high and yet my hormone levels have dropped significantly. I see a hematologist that night who feels my neck and says my lymph node is about 1.5cm, after physical exam he notes my liver is enlarged and diagnoses me with neutropenia. Liver function tests come back normal, EBV neg, MCHC is lower than normal, HCV neg, urine normal, everything comes back fine except the MCHC which is low. Blood smear shows 41% seg, 1% eo, 1% bazo, 45% lympho, 5% atypical lymph, and 1% lymphoplamacit. Hematologist says nothing is too abnormal and tells me to take 100mg of vitamin B6, and 10mg of folic acid, and 2000mg of vitamin C every day for three weeks and then come to see him if I don't feel better at which point he suggests a node biopsy. Been on this vitamin therapy for 8 days now, feel worse than ever, have now lost a total of 14 pounds since late August due to absolutely no appetite and nausea when I think of food, this morning I woke up with a swollen neck and this lymph node is now HUGE. I can't swallow, just like when you have tonsilitis only I had mine removed 6 years ago. I'm dizzy, tired, have no strength at all, and every couple of days I get a terrible pain in my back right in the spine which doesn't go away for hours. I have constant nausea which is increased when I'm in a bus or car or a stuffy room, it gets so bad that I feel like I'm going to throw up and then faint and it doesn't get better until I lie down for an hour or manage to fall asleep.
I have a constant low-grade temperature of 99-99.5 degrees which will suddenly go up and my face will flush, then it drops, usually occurs in the middle of the day.
Anyone experience these symptoms? I don't have any real lymphoma symptoms, but being "sick" for over two months is now killing me. My symptoms are now chronic and I can't seem to get answers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.