Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
95% Sure I Have Lymphoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

95% Sure I Have Lymphoma

Hiya,

Around 2 weeks ago now I found a bean sized, moveable lump on the side of my neck. I instantly went into panic and have stayed that way since. The first doc said it was nothing to worry about and felt like a normal lymph node to him but would run bloods to put my mind at ease. The next nurse I saw said it felt like fatty tissue around the node and I need a blood test and ultra sound. The final doc I saw, felt it and said it is about a cm and moveable, see if it goes down in 3 weeks and if not come back. I said then I may have felt it 4-5months before and brushed it off (I can't remember if I am honest), well her face changed and she referred me to an ENT on Tues. I ran my bloods which will be back in today (hopefully). But now all I can think is I have got lymphoma (they asked me if I had any B symptoms each time) and then referred me. I am living through an absolute nightmare right now, I can't think of anything else, I keep touching the lump and I swear it has got bigger (also not a good sign), I keep think I am itching, I have even read treatments and stuff to prepare myself!

Anyway I will update... 2 weeks ago I did not even know what Lymphoma was and now I am OBSESSED!

Thanks for listening
I'm a little confused about how long you've had the lump.  Are you saying you think you had it 4-5 months ago, it went away and then came back about 2 weeks ago?  Or, has it actually been there for 4-5 months?  

Blood work is not a definative way to diagnose lymphoma.  Don't get me wrong, it's a good tool for them, but if the lymphoma isn't very advanced then it's possible it won't show up on the blood work.  I know this because my blood work was fine even after being diagnosed with lymphoma via a biopsy.  The only definative way to know for sure is with a biopsy of the node, however if you're not presenting with any other symptoms then most likely your doctor won't see a need to biopsy at this time.  If your lump persists for more than a few weeks and gets larger, then you should probably push for a biopsy.  

Please do keep us posted and good luck today on your blood test.