Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Acute lymphoblastic leukemia-B cell, PH (-)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

my father was diagnoced with ALL-B cell.  the md's scheduled him for LP and transfusion of plts. while there the results of the PH chromosome came in and was negative.  they proceeded to put a form of chemo in his spine...do not know what that was mom didn't ask.  So basically as I see it he has weeks to months left unless he goes experimental...can you guys confirm this prognosis and what coud be the chemo they injected intrathecally?
Hello and welcome.  I'm sorry to hear about your father. Honestly, I'm not very familiar with ALL as I had a different kind of cancer (Follicular lymphoma).   What I can tell you about ALL is that although it is aggressive, it usually responds well to treatment and is often curable.    Prognosis really depends on a number of factors including present health at diagnosis and stage of disease.  There are other factors to consider such as age, LDH levels, and whether it has spread to organs outside the lymph system.  

After doing a little research, it looks like the type of therapy he had is called Central Nervous System (CNS) Prophylaxis.  This is done as a preventative measure to help keep the ALL from returning in the spinal fluid that surrounds the spine and brain.  This is part of the standard treatment normally given to patients with ALL.  On a very positive note, one website I found said this: "Standard therapy for ALL has changed very little in the last 15 years or so, as the current strategy has been very effective at curing adults. The goal of treatment is a cure."

Keep your chin up and please keep us posted on his progress.

The medication he got may have been methotrexate. For adults, survival rate was 0 only 4 decades ago. Today it is between 20-70%, depending on a few factors which the poster above me described. Your father's chances for survival are higher because his Philadelphia Chromosome was negative. Even better if

I have no idea how did you come to conclusion that he has weeks or months left or even go experimental, unless you provide more details. I know it is fatal within weeks of months if left untreated.
Somehow erased part of a sentence. Even better chances of survival if the cancer cells didnt spread to the brain and spine.
thank you for your response.  we are awaiting results of lumbar puncture to see if the brain has been affected.  MD spoke with mom  today and said it is possible to give him some vincristine to see if that will slow down the process...but what are we talking about here, side effects?
this has been so fast that our heads are still spinning.  thanks
thank you for your response.  still awaiting results of LP.  MD said if he was philadelphia chromosome (+) it is better because of new drugs specific to that.  If (-) than two options:  do nothing or do clinical studies.  According the md's it is now better to be + than -...thanks
I hope the results of the LP come back with good news.  Vincristine is a drug used for many kinds of cancers (I had it myself as part of my treatment).  It basically kills the cancer cells in the division process.  

Some side effects that I can remember are upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, mouth sores and numbness and tingling in hands and feet.  Most people won't have all these symptoms.  The only side effects I had was the constipation and numbness/tingling.  I was on anti nausea meds so didn't really have problems in that area.  If he does have any of these symptoms, be sure his doctor knows about it as he may want to adjust the dosage.

Vincristine is pretty toxic stuff so it's important that he drinks a lot of water after his infusion to help flush his kidneys.  Also, if can burn the skin if there is a leak at the I.V. sight.  

I think it's great that you are seeking answers for your dad.  Often with cancer, there is no definitive treatment answers and decisions are left for patients and their families to weigh on their own.  
LP was negative...good news!!! i hope that this vincristin will help slow down disease process but i am worried about the side effects and his already depleted system.  we will hope for the best.  thank you
please do not worried about the side effects this is very best. thanks
That is good news!  I'm sure his doctors will monitor him closely but just be sure to report any side effects he does have.  Most side effects can be countered by using other drugs or adjusting the dose.   Good luck and I hope to hear back on his continued progress.