Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Alcohol causes facial pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Alcohol causes facial pain

I've read that a symptom of Hodgkins Lymphoma is a pain under the ears after drinking alcohol.  It has gotten so painful that when I eat out with friends and everyone else orders wine or beer or mixed drinks, I just order lemonade.  I've never been a big drinker but I miss an occasional swig.  The pain is excruciating, behind the jaw hinge, it feels like a lymph node is going to explode.  I don't know enough biology to know whether there is even a lymph node there or not, but don't know what else it could be.  I don't even know what kind of doctor to ask about this.  Thanks.
Hi.

This pain under your ears may be a reflection or radiation of pain coming from the ducts of the major salivary glands that gets irritated by alcohol or any acidic, sour drinks.  Hodgkin's lymphoma may present this way in a minority of cases, and in your situation, this can be highly unlikely.

I would suggest you have yourself examined by an ENT specialist to examine the orifices in side your oral cavity.  The major salivary ducts can indeed be irritated by chronic alcohol intake and this can be the reason behind this pain.

Regards and God bless.