Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Breast Cancer Survivor, Abdominal pain/swollen lymph node on left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

I had breast cancer, 5 years ago at 30 years old, and have just come off my medication.  My husband and I are now starting to try and have a baby, so I was very happy when I got my period back. I started having a dull, tingly but bearable pain at the start of my period.  I thought it was ovulation pain but that is not meant to last this long I thought.  On saying that, I think the ovulation this time was on the left side also.  This pain has continued for 2 weeks and then just yesterday it became unbearable and I had to take pain killers. (The pain is back to normal again though and bearable.) At this time I also felt a small bean sized lump on the left side of my abdomen, and was slightly tender to touch.   I went to the doctor today and she said that it looks like my lymph node is swollen.  Is this normal and is there any cause for concern that it might be something more serious?  I am trying to get an appointment to see a specialist now.
Welcome.  I'm sorry to hear of your struggles with breast cancer, but I'm glad to hear that you've beaten it.  The swollen lymph node in your abdomen is most likely a reaction to an infection within your body, even without any other symptoms.  I'm assuming that you fear the node to be malignant, but the only way to know that is with a biopsy of it.  Your doctor may want to rule out infection first by giving antibiotics, or even have you wait it out for a while to see if the node goes away on its own.  He may also want to do some blood work and check your WBC and LDH levels.  

My own lymphoma was discovered by trying antibiotics first.  Please keep in mind that most swollen nodes are from infection and the chance of it being a malignancy is pretty slim.  

Please keep us posted on your progress with the specialist.

The doctor thought it was swollen lymph nodes from an infection.  The pain has gone now and just waiting the results of blood work. Apparently I was also about to ovulate, which seems to be out of sync with a regular cycle, but it was nothing to worry about as it does take time to get your cycle back to normal after coming off meds.  
Good to hear.  Thanks for keeping us posted.