Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Burkitts Lymphoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Burkitts Lymphoma

My 22 year old son has completed treatment for Burkitts Lymphoma Stage IV. His chemo consisted of Hyper-Cvad and Rituxan. What is the relapse rate of this disease or is it specific to patient only? I am told that this chemo was specifically designed for Burkitts by MD Anderson. Does anyone out there know the success rate of this chemo protocol for Burkitts? Thank you for your help. DDavis
Hi there.

Burkitt's lymphoma is indeed an aggressive form of lymphoma, but is still however curable with aggressive treatment, and I believe that the treatment given to him is top-notch.  

Even if stage IV disease, I think that the cure rate will still be above 70-80%, with about 10-20% chance of recurrence in three years.  During this follow up period, it is best to let your doctors know anything that your son is experiencing, especially new lymph nodes, night sweats, fever, and weight loss.

Congratulations with the successful treatment, and I'm wishing him all the best.  Regards.
Hi, congratulations on your sons remission. My nephew who is 10 years old also has stage IV Burkitts Lymphoma. My nephew's doctors said he had an 80% chance of beating the cancer. There was only a 10-20% chance of recurrance. Unfortunately, he had a recurrance of cancer cells in his spinal fluid and has had to do chemo treatment again, with stem cell treatment after. It is very rare to have a recurrance of Burkitts,so my nephew's case is unusual. After the second chemo course, my nephew is again in remission, but had a bad reaction to his last dose, and is now in a coma. The docs expect him to wake up soon, when the medication clears his system, and my nephew is responding to commands to sqeeze his mothers hand and lift his leg. Just wanted to let you know that there are others out here with a loved one who is recovering; we understand what you are going through. Best wishes for your sons continued remission, he will be in my prayers as well.
MM
The best hospital for this treatment is Univ of Nebraska Medical Center. My daughter was just diagnosed and has started chemo. They are the worldwide leaders in all kinds of lymphoma, ppl from all over the world are being treated there. They do aggressive chemo, also about three injections into spinal fluid (she had 2nd one today, not fun). but the cure rate is very good, they said 'we work for curing this, not sending it into remission-curing so it will never be back'. Email me at ***@**** if you have any stories on burkitts treatment and i will keep you updated on ours....