Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
CLL & Night Sweats

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

CLL & Night Sweats

Is there any way to reduce night sweats? I have had CLL since 2000 and they are getting more frequent.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  What medications are you getting for the CLL? The night sweats may be a sign of disease activity.  It may mean that the CLL is not being controlled by the medications you are presently receiving.
I  am not on any medication for the CLL at the moment, but I am on Glucophage, for diabetes, lisinopril for high blood pressure, and simvastatin for high colesterol.

Thanks,
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  You may need to consult again with your oncologist/hematologist so they can assess you for disease progression and give appropriate treatment.  The night sweats are part of what are called "B symptoms" which are markers for disease activity. The only way to reduce those night sweats is to treat the leukemia itself. Once the disease becomes stabilized or dormant with treatment, the night sweats should recede.
Thank you very much, Fernando. I have an appointment to see my hematologist on Feb 15.  I will follow your advice.  Peter
Dear Fernando,  What medication do you think I should be taking? My hematologist does not want to give me chemo at the moment until the blood count reaches  50 - at present its 21.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Peter. What count are you referring to? Is it the platelet count, white cell count or the hemoglobin? There are ways to increase the counts.  You can either get injected by hormones like erythropoetin (to stimulate red cell production) or filgrastim (stimulate white cell production), or get transfusions (for low hemoglobin or low platelet counts).
Dear Fernando, Sorry not to get back to you earlier, but I had to wait until after the holiday to speak to my doctor. The figures referred to White Cell Count. Happy New Year , Peter

Just been to see my consultant. White cell count gone up from 21 to 35 in 6 months. Doesn't sound very good. Told there is nothing that can be done., Peter