Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
CLL and Septic Shock
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

CLL and Septic Shock

My grandmother has been living with CLL for over 10 years. She recently progressed to a new level of chemotherapy in the form of pills, and although I'm not sure what type they are, I know that they're steroids. She's been living quite well with it, but had been throwing up for some time (voluntarily), and occasionally complaining of stomach pains that she said would go away with chamomile tea (though looking back, I'm sure she was just saying these things to prevent all of us from worrying).

Anyway, my grandmother had emergency surgery on Wednesday because she was complaining of severe abdominal cramps. A CT scan indicated that her bowel had ruptured, and she had to be operated on immediately. We were told she likely would not survive the surgery. She did.

We discovered that she had lymph nodes in her abdomen (perhaps from a previous bout of cancer she had about 15 years ago), and an infection was spreading throughout her body. She's now on life support, and has suffered from septic shock, with her kidneys failing, and her liver beginning to fail. In two days, her kidney began regaining some function, her vitals are somewhat stable (occasionally requiring assistance for a few hours), and her liver does not seem to be in grave danger at the moment. She is also very cognitively aware, but she cannot say anything (though she wants to) because she has a tube down her throat, and is very agitated that it's there.

We have just been told that her medication to treat the CLL is counteracting with the antibiotics being given to her intravenously, and are thus compromising any attempts to get her to recover. I was wondering if this is indeed true, what her likelihood for survival and/or recovery is (if that information is known at all), and is septic shock/ruptured bowel is a complication of CLL or if it is a completely unrelated matter.

Thank you kindly. It's been a trying time.