Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
CML?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

CML?

After have a slightly elevated WBC for about 2 years my primary sent me to a hematologist. Since my WBC ranged from 18.5 2 years ago and went down to 12 in Dec he didn't think it was anything serious but said he would follow me to make sure. In Jan WBC was still around 12 but he also performed a gene test and said the results were very suspicious. He said I had CML and scheduled a bone marrow biopsy for the following day when my husband could be with me. After 10 days I went back for the results and was told the biopsy came back normal and that I did not have CML. My question is...does the normal biopsy rule out CML all together? Even with the positive gene test (which I believe was positive for the Philadelphia chromosome). Any insight would be appreciated. I was in such shock when he said I didn't have CML I didn't even ask questions and I don't go back for another month and a half.
Hi, what you need to do is get a copy of that test which may talk about finding the Phila Chromosome. Maybe it's even online? If it does say that, then the next step would be to find out the odds of a false positive.

The word "suspicious" stands out in your account, being far from "conclusive".

On such an odd circumstance, I'd even wonder about a lab mixup or error.

A WBC of 18 is not necessarily a sign of a blood cancer. Other causes can get it that high, even taking corticosteroids.

AFAIK, a person can be Ph- and still have CML, Or be Ph+ and have some other leukemia. But your case doesn't makes sense. Maybe you can ask to be tested for the BCR protein that would be present if a person really has the Ph+. Or maybe tesed for tyrosine kinase. This is all just guesswork on my part.

My hematologist said it was suspicious but he needed the biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. When he got a normal result back from the biopsy he said he called the head of the lab to find out how it could have come out with those results and was told that the gene test was probably a false positive but I just can't relax knowing it was "probably" a false positive. I don't take any medication other than vitamin d to account for the elevated WBC. I am going to have to ask him to rerun the gene test and see if it comes out positive again. Was hoping to see if anyone else has ever been through something similar and how it worked out for them. When I was first told of the positive gene test he said that CML was the best to hope for so getting worried that it is something that isn't as easily controlled with medication.