Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
CT scan for NHL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

CT scan for NHL

Hi there,   I have MGUS IgM and my hematologist sent me for baseline contrast CT
of Chest/Abdo/pelvis just for the record.   I have a sister with lymphoma and a sister with multiple myeloma.

This returned as normal for Chest and Abdo but mentions 'a few morphologically normal lymph nodes in
groin area on both sides'.

It's my understanding that the morphologically normal reference means that
the shape and form is normal. Is the fact that they enhanced on CT of any relevance here.   I don't see my
Hematologist again until November.

Anyone have any ideas!
Hi I don't know the exact answer but a scan with contrast gives more detail - so your good results from the scan can be regarded with even more confidence because contrast was used.

Sometimes successive scans are done with and without contrast, to see the difference in uptake. I don't recall if that's with CT or MRI.

My guess is that the nodes showed up because of enlarged size. If the enlargement is generally symmetrical, that's a good sign that they are reactive and not malignant.

Good luck on remaining healthy.
Thanks for taking time to reply to my question.  I was just curious why they mentioned the lymph glands at all if they were normal.   I guess. Just wait and see.    Thanks again p
Doesn't the report tell their size? Can you feel them?
No mention of size.    I've had the flu over the past week and a half and when I cough I think I can feel them.....or at least feel a discomfort in my groin on both sides.....mind you......the cough is pretty big and noisy..... And nearly blows my head off.

Just yesterday we got news that another of my sisters is I hospital with possible extensive lymphoma.  She has dementia so was not screened for the MGUS when the others found out about our blood/lymph problems.  Just waiting for a call from her daughter to let us know the prognosis.   They have already been told that there is probably nothing they can do for her.  

I have decided to write my hematologist a short note and drop it into his office with the scans, stating my concerns over these glands.......mentioning the report that says they are morphologically normal.........but then doesn't say my pelvis is free of NHL evidence.   Hope this makes sense to you.