Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Can this be Lymphoma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Can this be Lymphoma?

Hi, I'm very worried for my dad.  He's been a very sick man for the last couple of months.  The doctors are starting to zero in on finding out what is causing him to be so sick.  His symptoms are weight loss (25 lbs without trying), feeling of fullness in his upper belly, swollen lymph nodes in his back and neck, chills, weakness and tiredness that won't go away.  The only symptom he doesn't seem to have is a rash and itchness, is this an important symptom that pertains to Lymphoma?

The doctors are saying that if it is Lymphoma than they are positive about the effectiveness of treatment; however, if it is a primary cancer somewhere else and it has spread to Lymph Nodes than they are not so optimistic.  Can anyone shed a light about the rash and itchiness symptom or rather lack of with my dad?

Worried sick about him!
Carmela
I know how you are feeling Carmela-my father has lymphoma also. It started 3 years ago and is
back now so he has to start chemo again but they thought it was non hodgkins and now think
it may be hodgkins which is easier to treat. My father had the swollen lymph nodes on his neck
but never had any of the other symptoms-no rash or itchiness either. Has he had the tests done
yet-a biopsy on the nodes??? I will be praying for you and him!! Regards-Michelle
Hi Michelle,
Thanks so much for your response.  Actually today they were going to do a biopsy on the nodes as well as a colonscopy and endoscopy to rule out another primary cancer.  I'm praying that the cancer didn't start somewhere else and now its spread to lymph nodes.  I'll keep you updated.  How has your fathers health been in the last three years?
Carmela

It has been wonderful and they were very positive about him until this last episode-another swollen
lymph node under his arm. I know how worrisome it is for the whole family since we've been through
it but if it is JUST lymphoma it is curable-my father just started losing weight but he has bronchitis
now also and just isn't hungry but otherwise is feeling OK-the main thing is to keep positive !!!!!
Please keep me posted and I will do the same. Should we exchange e-mails??? Michelle
Sure Michelle, I'm totally fine with that.  My email is ***@****  Talk soon, glad to hear your dad is feeling okay.
Looks like we're not able to give out our e-mail addresses as you can see above. How did your
fathers tests come out??? Any results yet??
Ah yes, I can see that.  Oh well.  He had the colonscopy and endoscopy yesterday and some good news, they found no cancer in those areas.  So, its looking more hopeful (I can't believe I actually said that I'm hoping) that its Lymphoma.  I'm only saying 'hopeful' because all of the doctors that he has gone to has said that if it is that particular cancer they would be able to help.  The biopsy is scheduled for next Wednesday and I believe we'll have to wait for a couple of days for results been even his own family doctor told him yesterday that he was a bit relieved to hear yesterday's news.  From what I understand Hodgkin's is easier to treat as opposed to NHL.  Question for you Michelle, how come they are changing their minds about which Lymphoma your dad has?  Can they not confirm through the biopsy?  Do you know the cancer is staged, is that also through biopsy?  What area are you from btw, is it the states, I am from Toronto, Canada.
I am from Syracuse NY but live in Florence Italy for 15 years now since I married an Italian. I will
be going home in 2 weeks for Thanksgiving and to give my Dad a big needed hug!!! I don't really
understand the difference in the 2 lymphomas-I must look that up, have been doing alot of research
on the computer about lymphoma.Yes, the stages are through the biopsy also. Has your Dad done
a petscan and a catscan?? That will tell alot also!! Keep me posted on what they find-the biopsy
results will take about a week. My father had the bone marrow test done also last time but now
they can't do it because he is over 75-wish they would start the treatments though, the biopsy is
still being tested for what type of lymphoma it is and then they will start chemo again.
Hi Michelle,  Beautiful Florence, how wonderful.  One of my must see destinations, my parents are both from Italy.  I'm sure he will be overjoyed to see you soon.  I've noticed my dad has stopped sweating the small stuff and has become more humble, for lack of a better word.  The only tests my dad has had other than bloodwork is a CT scan, Xrays, colonscopy and endoscopy.  The biopsy in the lymph nodes will be done next Wednesday, I'll be taking him.  The doctor said he should have the results by the following Monday.  Do you know if a bone marrow test is always done with this type of cancer?  My dad is soon to be 68.
Enjoy your time with your dad.  ((Hugs))
Carmela
Hi Carmela-I figured you were Italian since your name is Italian-what part are they from, the south??
How has your father been feeling these days-is he eating?? My father has particular foods that he
craves and some that he just can't eat. He is into pasta these days so I guess it's something that
his body needs right now. Thursday he will start chemo again-they found that it is still NHL but
hopefully the chemo will knock it out of him again this time-Thank God it did not spread to the organs. Good luck Wednesday for the biopsy and keep me posted-I don't leave until the 9th so
your fathers results should be back by then right??? Take care and keep praying-Michelle
Hi Michelle...........yup a name like Carmela you'd be safe to assume that I am.  They are both from Sicily.  I just came back from the hospital, they couldn't do the biopsy today because when the Anasteologist (spelling?) came into the operating room they discovered that his oxygen in his blood is too low and therefore putting him under was not safe.  So, they've admitted him and now have to find out why his oxygen level is low---they said could be his heart or lungs.  More questions, more waiting.........but the Oncologist that has reviewed his reports still says he thinks this is Lymphoma.  We now have to wait and maybe they'll do a biopsy on Friday if they can elevate the oxygen, my mom's a mess.  So tomorrow your dad starts chemo.......I pray that he has much success.  I suppose you always have to look at the positive, i.e. no spreading to organs.  I'm going to try to write my email this way, maybe it'll work.............carmelaperriatrogersdotcom