Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Confusion on Fluctuating White Blood Counts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Hi!

I had my blood work done yesterday because I was concerned about bruising easily.  My doc's office called and said everything looked great!  My concern is that as many times in the past 3 years that I've had blood work done, my white cells have been anywhere from the 5,000's to yesterday, which was in the low 8,000s.  While I realize that these WBC's have always been in the "normal" range, I don't understand what makes them in the "middle" of the normal range one time or another, and then yesterday, in the "higher" part of the normal range.

Thanks!
Many common things can cause fluctuations in your count, such as eating shortly before the draw, stress, even excercise. That's why there is a range in each value. As long as everything was within range and your doc said all was well, I wouldn't be concerned.
Blood work is a complicated thing, because they could draw your blood and get a reading, and then do it again in a day and get another reading.  Your in the normal range, and your doctor says its all okay.  How were your platelets?
I do have Leukemia, and when they found it my counts were high.  At first they thought I  had a virus, but after my 3rd elevated WBC, they decided to check me further.  Then they found the Leukemia.
Sometimes your blood vessels are close to the skin, and that can cause bruising easily.
My counts are very low right now, and I do bruise easily myself.  I can remember bruising all the time many years ago even before the Leukemia.
I am sure your okay.  I always get a copy of my blood work to keep for my records so I can compare them everytime I am tested.  I hope all is well for you