Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Do I have Lymphoma??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Do I have Lymphoma??

I have had extremely swollen lymph nodes in my neck below my jaw and on my jaw bone for about 4 weeks. I put it off as an infection for about 2 weeks and the swelling went down some but they were still swollen and tender. I drank alcohol on Thursday and Friday morning I woke up with them being extremely swollen again, by extremely swolllen I mean that you can see them bulging out of my neck. I have also had unexplained fatigue, "hot flashes" at night time to where I feel feverish because I am sweating, but have no fever and I have lost 15 lbs in the last two weeks. I went to an immediate care where they ran a CBC blood test and a mono and strep test... Everything came back negative and my CBC came back normal, my white blood count is not elevated, meaning I do not have an infection which is typically the cause of swollen glands. I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP but I am a little worried because the Nurse Practitioner who took care of me yesterday seemed really concerned when she saw my lymph nodes and immediately said, "They're huge!" when she felt them and requested that I see my GP and get a biopsy this week. I know you can't diagnose without a biopsy, but Im wondering if it could be something else??? I know a lot of people have swollen glands for years and drs don't know why, but how swollen are they exactly?? Are they just slightly swollen or swollen enough to narrow the passageway in your throat and bulge out of your neck?
Hi Beth. I sorta wish we were still in the 50's when all we had was 1 doctor, & non of all these specialist! Now to try to help u with ur problem, since there all kinds of specialist, i am really surprised that no-one has given you a referral, to a nose, ear, throat specialist? The first thing, he, or she will notice are your swellings, & from there they'll make up their minds to figure out what kind of test you need. I've been through a lot, like yourself, with the swelling in the neck, & ears, & so on, since i was a child. I was very fortunate to see an ear, nose, throat specialist, after going to a smaller hospital, & all that hospital did was tell me i didnt have strep throat. At this point i was losing my voice, & a very sore throat. This had been going on for a good 15 days, anyway! So, i was doing the steroids they prescribed, but i still was getting worse? Luckily, i had oxygin tanks prescribed in past for cluster headaches, so i was starting to use them. THEN, 29 DAYS, I could not handle the pain, talking, swelling, & swollowing. I tried to just swallow water, & that wouldnt work? It would just come out my nose, so i called 911, & they brought me to the bigger, & better hospital.(in the ambulance, they checked my sat. levels, & they had dropped think less than 50?) OK, I saw a specialist right away, & he started to ask me questions. Luckily , i saw a pen, so i grabbed it, & started writing on my palm.(couldnt talk? to painful) He noticed, so he gave me paper to write on. FIRST THING HE DID WAS TAKE AN EX-RAY, of my throat. Then he managed to get a microscope, through my nose, down my throat. Sounds painful, but it wasnt any worse, than what i had been going through. THEN, he gave me the good news! (thought he would just send me home) He goes YOU are very SICK, & you are not going anywhere, but ICU! You have a deadly disease, called epiglititus. This is a childhood disease, (even though i was 58 years old) Luckily he was a knowlegeble doctor, cas if i had , or was able to go on any longer, he told me, i probably wouldnt had made it. I actually stunned him, & 4 other of his collegues. Couldnt understand how i managed to go on so long, with out dieing, but i didnt panic for 1 thing. That would had made things even worse, cas it was a miricle they didnt have to give me a tractomtry.(devise , slit in throat so u can breath) An oxygen, mist, mask, & drip morphine, & 48 hours i was healed!
SO, it is very douptfull you have this disease, BUT, what i am trying to tell you, is go see that type of specialist, & hopefully he can figure out ur problem, & hopefully he will e-ray you, & give you antibiotics, or what ever the problem is! Good luck! Let me know what they discovered. Steve