Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Elevated CD4 Count

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Elevated CD4 Count

I have an imuunodeficiency disorder called Mannose Binding Lectin Deficiency and am under an immunologist in London,uk. I have just found out my CD4 count is elevated and they are doing some more testing. I am wondering if any one knows what could cause a elevated count.

Irishgirl
well, CD4 is a marker that is on immune cells called T Helper cells.

Since your Mannose Binding Lectin Deficiency results in immunodeficiency, maybe you are prone to infections and so your immune cells proliferate. I'd suppose that would have to be looked at in relation to your CBC tests. If only CD4 is elevated, that'd be more of something unusual.
All my other blood tests were normal. I have emailed my haematologist and he wanted to know what my actual count was so Ive phoned my immunologist to find out what it is.
I think you should be tested for MRSA that can easily be transmitted in any hospital.  It's rampant and will compromise your immune system.  i hope you haven't already contracted it.  It can play havoc with your immune system.
Already been tested for MRSA and it was negative. I have been in hospital quite a bit recently and every time I have been admitted I get tested for MRSA. It is practice over here in the UK to test people for MRSA. I have just had my appointment in London and they have taken blood test to do the TCRVbeta spectratyping. The other thing that I have had is serve itching from head to toe, short of breath, night sweats and when I drink alcohol my lymph nodes hurt. I had a cat scan at the end of 2010 to check for lymphoma which was negative but last Friday I found a couple of lymph nodes swollen in my neck and I can now feel lumps below my collarbone and they are not sore like they would be if you have an infection. Last year I had treatment for TB as tested positive in 2009 but had no symptoms then so was only treated last year and didn't do anything with any of my symptoms. My G.P. has now referred me to a dermatologist for the itching so going to tell him everything. My itching started on my legs first and then went everywhere else especially now I get it on my hands and feet. Everyone is at a loss to what it could be.

Kind Regards

Irishgirl aka Emma
With the alcohol causing lymph node pain, I'd ask to get re-evaluated for lymphoma - especially since you also have itching and TB is not known to cause itching. I'd ask for a sono or MRI of some of those enlarged nodes. E.g., the presence of a fatty hilum pretty much means it's benign (while the absence doesn't necessarily mean a malignancy). The presence of vascularity can be a strong indicator of malignancy. Rounded shape tends toward malignancy.

If the scan says you are free of malignancy that should be a relief. Good luck.