Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Enlarged lymph nodes/ trouble breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Enlarged lymph nodes/ trouble breathing

Hey, I am a 20 year old female.  I have had an enlarged non-tender lymph node in my neck for about 3 1/2 years.  I can not tell whether it is getting bigger or not.  Maybe just a little.  In december I also noticed an enlarged area right below my clavicle near the sternum.  It was non-tender.  I don't remember any injuries to the area.  I went to the doctor in december about the area and he ran an x-ray on it and said it was fine. It may be getting just a tad bigger too. I also had him feel the lymph node in my neck and he just said, "It's nothing to worry about."   He didn't run any test or anything.   I have also been having some trouble breathing. It started a while back but has gotten worse.  However, I have also gained about 60-70 lbs in the last 2 years.  I was just wondering if the trouble breathing could be due to the enlarged lymph nodes or if it was due to the weight gain.  
Just wanted to add that I am not having night sweats, fever, or itching.  And that when I went to the doctor about the enlarged lymph node under my clavicle before he ran the x-ray he said it could possbily just be a prominence of the collarbone.  It does make a palpable clicking feeling we I raise and lower my arm.  After the x-ray he didn't say whether or not it was a lymph node or a prominence of the bone.  He just said, "everything looks fine." Maybe I'm just a hypochondriac about it.  I was just wondering b/c of the shortness of breath. I did go to the doctor about 4 weeks ago about the shortness of breath.  He said it was probably from anxiety from school however he did not run any test whatsoever.  He prescribed me an anti-anxiety medication and an inhaler.  However, I haven't really noticed a difference in the trouble breathing since the anti-anxiety medication.  The inhaler helps somewhat but I still have a lot of trouble breathing. 
Hi.
I understand your concern.
The lymph nodes could be the result of a previous infection.  That’s why it has been there for about three and a half years already.  Please continue to observe if there will be changes in the lymph nodes.
As for the shortness of breath you are experiencing, I agree with you that it could be secondary to your weight gain.  However, there is still a need to undergo further evaluation to rule-out other possible causes of the shortness of breath.  Perhaps an ECG could be done to rule-out possible heart problem.
I believe you need to go back to your doctor for further evaluation.
Good luck.
Thanks for your advice.  I have wondered about the heart problem too. I am a family h/o heart problems (My dad's grandmother, mother, brother).  My pulse rate has also been very high lately.  It stays between 100-110 even when resting.  My blood pressure was also increased last time I went to the doctor- 135/85 (up from 80/45 about 3 years ago).   When I am exercising my pulse goes up to around 180.  I am going to the doctor tomorrow so I will ask him about it too.  Tthanks so much.  
Sorry, I just forgot to add that I had a 4 1/2 year h/o anorexia between 8th grade and graduating high school.  I then turned to bulimia for about 1 1/2 years.  I'm not sure if this would affect it or not.  
Hi.
Thanks for the update.
I agree with your decision to go back to your doctor for further evaluation.  As I’ve mentioned in my previous post, the shortness of breath could be due to a heart problem.  An electrocardiogram (ECG) or a 2D echocardiogram may be needed in order to find out if there is indeed a heart problem or not.  
I would also suggest consult with a psychiatrist for possible advice on proper eating habits.  
God bless.