Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Enlarged lymph nodes and weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Enlarged lymph nodes and weight loss

I am new to this forum.  I have been dealing with enlarge lymph nodes for 1.5 years.  It started with one enlarge lymph node in the subclavicular area.  I had an ultrasound which came back suspicious and was referred for a CT, the very next morning they called me back to have an MRI as the previous CT showed abnormalities and several nodes in my neck area varying in size between 1 to 1.5 cm.  The specialist that I saw specialize in lymph node surgery (he is a surgeon) related to melanoma since I had a melanoma on my right leg in April 2003.  He wasn't concerned with my lymph nodes and didn't want to do a biopsy.  I went back to see him in September because I have been feeling unwell since June.  Again he was not concerned.  I did a blood test and it only revealed ferritin at 38 so I was sent back for another test a week later and it had gone down to 33 but he didn't do anything about it and neither did I since I don't know what it means.  Since then, I have lost 21 pounds since mid August; I have more palpable lymph nodes.  I have constant cold sores on my lips and inside my nose.  I have intermittent fever but I am not sure if it is caused by the cold sores or if I have the cold sores as a result of the fever.  I had cold sores in the past but maybe one every two years.  I went to a clinic yesterday because I felt unwell again and the doc said that I had sign of an infection in my mouth and that my lymph nodes could be caused by a virus that I haven't been able to fight for 4 months.  He is sending me for blood work again. I am not scared about this, as cancer, which is usually the most scary diagnosis is not new to me.  As I said I had a melanoma removed and I lost my sister to cancer a year and a half ago.  Thanks for listening and any insight would be appreciated.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The whole series of symptoms which you have been experiencing (enlarged lymph nodes, cold sores, intermittent fever, weight loss) may all be signs of a lingering infection.  But given your prior history as well as a strong family history of cancer, the possibility that these symptoms are caused by an underlying cancer cannot be discounted. It is good that you are seeing a doctor right now and having these things thoroughly investigated.
Thank you very much for your feedback.   I went for the blood test yesterday and will wait for the results.  Since then, I have found a lump on my sacrum (by roling on to it while I was sitting) I am a little concern as I previously had a pilonidal cyst removed and it is not in the same area but more to the side.  I will mention it to the Doctor if I am called back for my blood work.