Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
HARD SWALLEN LYMPH NODES

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

HARD SWALLEN LYMPH NODES

HELLO EVERYONE
IAM 25 YEARS OLD AND I HAD HARD SWALLEN LYMPH NODES IN MY NECK AND IAM AFFRAID OF LYMPHOMA  . I HAVE  PAIN IN THE NECK THE SIZE OF NODELS 1.5 CM AND DIDNOT CHANGE FOR THE LAST SIX YEARS
Hi, the fact that your nodes have remained the same size for so long is a good sign. Generally, with lymphoma, you would expect a gradual increase in size. The pain you are experiencing in your neck could be due to the nodes pressing on a nerve. However, it is recognised that nodes above 1cm in size warrent investigation as they could be swollen due to infection. I have been on this road for quite some time now, only mine have gradually grown to 1 inch in size!! Contact your medical practitioner and hopefully put your mind at rest. Good luck x  
Hi.
Lymph nodes in the neck usually become palpable or swollen when there is an infection.  Chronic and recurrent infections will make the lymph nodes persistently enlarged.  There are times that even when the infection is treated, the lymph nodes will not regress in size and will remain palpable.  However, there are conditions that can present with enlarged lymph nodes in the neck.  Examples would be lymphomas and metastatic carcinomas, though these are usually accompanied with other signs and symptoms.
It would be best to seek consult with your doctor for proper evaluation.
Good luck.
What other symptoms are usually present with lymphomas?
Hi.
Symptoms of lymphoma include fever, weight loss, sweating, and itchiness of the skin.  These are the “B” symptoms of lymphoma.  A patient with lymphoma may or may not experience these symptoms.  There are times when palpable lymph nodes are the only manifestation of the disease.  
I have had an enlarged lymph node under the left side of my chin for around three months--it was round and not tender.  However, in the last week, the lymph node has further enlarged, and no longer maintains the round feel.  It is still not tender.  I went to my doctor around two months ago, and he told me not to worry.  However, should I go back to the doctor or get a second opinion, now that it doesn't have the same feel?
Hi.
Thanks for the update.
Do you have a head and neck or respiratory tract infection now?  That can explain why your lymph nodes increased in size again.  As I’ve posted earlier, there are other conditions that could present with enlarged lymph nodes in the neck area.  Examples are lymphomas and metastatic carcinomas.
You should go back to your doctor for further evaluation.  If you need to get a second opinion from another doctor, please do so.  That will give you peace of mind.
Good luck.