Hairy Cell Leukemia & Cord Blood
My mom has had Hairy Cell Leukemia for 13 years now.  After she was first treated, she went into remission for 10 years. It came back 3 years ago. I know currently there is no cure and it can only be treated.  I wanted to know if anyone knows of any success with cord blood and HCL? It's really hard to watch her and know that it can only be treated and not cured.  I know there are medical advances every day so I was hoping someone has heard of Cord Blood being used to cure leukemia.
I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  I have lymphoma, which is sort of a cousin to leukemia.  I do know that they are treating some lymphomas with cord blood transplants, however I'm not sure about leukemia.  You might check out seattlecca.org (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance).  This is a research hospital that is the leader in stem cell transplants and are currenly doing some transplants using cord blood.  They do something called double cord transplants, where they actually use more than one cord to get the amount of stem cells they need for an adult.  Here is a link you might want to check out from the seattlecca website: http://www.seattlecca.org/diseases/improving-cord-blood-transplants.cfm
Sorry...I sent the link to pediatric cord blood tranplants (although it  still might be good to read).  Here is the link to some webcasts on the latest in transplants at SCCA. http://www.seattlecca.org/diseases/bone-marrow-transplant-patient-power.cfm
Thank you for the information. I will definitely be reading up on it. I'm at the age now where I am in a serious relationship and marriage and kids are hopefully in my near future. So if I can find a way to help my mom, I'm going to do all I can.  I'm sorry to hear about your Lymphoma. I have a friend who was diagnosed with it last week.  I'm starting to think blood disorders like these are getting harder and harder to hide from.  Thanks again for the information, I wish you the best.
You are so welcome.  I think it's great that you are so willing to do research for your mom.  As a patient myself, it was really nice to have someone in my life who was willing to do some research and be able to talk to them about my options.  I'm sure your mom will feel the same.  She's very lucky to have you.  I wish you and your mom the best too.