Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Help please!! Swollen lymph node/Cyst on inner thigh for 4years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

I'm a 26year old female. Since the age of 21, I have had a swollen lymph node, on my inner right thigh, that started out at about the size of a penny(diameter). It is now the size of a 50 cent coin.  I first discovered this lump/lymph node/cyst at the age of 21, during my first pregnancy. My Ob/Gyn told me that it was more than likely just a cyst, and would go away after the birth of my baby. Its over 4years later now, and it's still there, and hasn't gone away. One other thing, i find to be somewhat odd and curious, is that since i've had this swollen lymph node, or whatever it is ... I have been losing weight. I'm 5'10 and I was 221lbs upon getting pregnant. 4 years and another child later I now am 151lbs, and i honestly haven't dieted or exercised. I always feel tired, stomach is upset and am always getting headaches and feeling lightheaded. I want to talk to my GP about it, but I'm a little scared, and very embarassed, cosmetically it is gruesome to me, and I don't even want to wear shorts or a bathing suit anymore. I would really appreciate some feedback, as to what in the world this might be. thank you for your time.
no, 4 years would not be common; but it's not impossible, either.

1st off, you'd need to determine if a lymph node usually exists at that spot. If not, then it can't be a node. But if it just an ordinary looking bump, that sounds as if it might be a superficial subinguinal node. Try here for locations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superficial_inguinal_lymph_nodes

If yours coincides with the location of any of those, then think the following: a node can swell because it's fighting infection. Or because the node itself becomes infected. Or less likely in this case because of some autoimmune action.

Usually it would go down afterwards, but might not if the infection is active - or if it has become filled with scar tissue or necrotic tissue. It might also become calcified.

If you don't mind, let me know how it turns out. You'll probably be happy that it's just something ordinary and can be ended.
hi, most people with lymphoma probably discover it by first noticing a swollen lymph node in the neck, underarm or groin. I'm assuming that "inner thigh" does not qualify. So that's good sign number 1.

Good sign number 2 might possibly be "cosmetically it is gruesome to me", since a lymphoma bump is just sort of ordinary looking.

So my guess it is not even a lymph node, much less lymphoma. Maybe the two most common things it would be would be: a cyst or a (fatty) lipoma. But from number 2, it might more likely be an infection, whether bacteria, virus, fungus or parasite -- or maybe a hypersensitivity reaction from something like a spider bite. That might also be causing your other symptoms.

"tired... getting headaches and feeling lightheaded"  What is your blood presssure? Are you dehydrated? A simple blood test called a Complete Blood Count (CBC)  can tell if your red blood cells are low. Come to think of it, if it were me I'd call my doc, describe the situation and ask them to order a CBC before coming in to see them. That'd be more efficient -  unless their practice has a machine to do that right on the premises. The doc will order one anyway, so why have two visits?

Do you live in Lyme country?

Did you check yourself very carefully for other bumps? Is that one bump tender or painful? Hard or soft? Movable or immovable? Discolored? Rough?

I'm calling my GP tommorrow to make an appointment. thank you very much for your response. The bump is a little tender, and it is hard, but I am able to move it. When i said cosmetically gruesome, I was refering to the fact that it juts out of the leg, and looks odd. There isn't a white head on it or anything, i tried using draw-out salve, and nothing come out. Would it be common if it was caused by infection for it to be around for 4years?  And the bump isnt discolored, this cyst, or whatever it is, is located underneath the skin.

Hey! Thanks again so much for all of your information and help! I finally went to the dr. and she said she believes it to be a lipoma, because there are no lymph nodes in the thigh area. She refered me to a general surgeon and said they can take it from there. All is well, I was definitely being a worry wart! Thank you very much!!
thanks for the update/feedback. I'm glad it worked out well for you.