Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Hematoma post Biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Hematoma post Biopsy

I completed treatment for Hodgkin's disease in September and in my first follow up scan, I already showed cancerous nodes again (or still?).  Two weeks ago I went in for a biopsy to get 2 lymph nodes removed to diagnose me.  I had swelling under the incision spot that was hard to touch, and then the other day, i felt intense pain throughout my neck and the swelling grew A LOT. My surgeon refused to help me when I was in his office. He sent me to ER and I was told it was hematoma.  I spent the night in the hospital for observation, then released the next day. I was given no instructions, just told it would take care of itself.  I've since spent 3 days resting and my neck is still VERY sore. It is not any better then when I was released from the hospital.  

I can barely hold my head up. It's hard for me to imagine, this is normal and I am supposed to just deal with this.

What can I do to help get past this hematoma????
Being released after observation inidcates there is no cause for concern. They should have given you some form of instruction on home care though! Here is some info I found from USA Today. Granted, due to the location, the elastic bandage compression is NOT recommended, but these tips should help get you through this.

"For contusions (bruises), treatment consists of initially applying ice or cold packs a few times a day, to produce vasoconstriction (a reduction in arterial blood flow) which helps to decrease hemorrhage (bleeding) and edema (swelling).

In general, the quicker you apply ice after the injury, the less bleeding will result.

If possible, elevate the bruised limb. Blood will leave the area of the wound and there may be less swelling. Resting the limb will also help to prevent further injury.

If the area is still painful after about 48 hours, apply gentle heat with warm towels, a hot water bottle, or a heating pad. The heat is applied for 20 minutes at a time to promote absorption and repair. Since heat causes swelling and increases tissue fluid, which may impair function, hot compresses may be followed by cold applications to minimize the secondary effects of heat.

Pressure in the form of an elastic adhesive bandage may be helpful to reduce hemorrhage and swelling. If infection should develop in the wound, the signs and symptoms might be increasingly severe pain, a fever of 101 degrees or more, swelling with surrounding redness, and pus. If any of these signs appear, your physician should be notified to make sure there are no additional problems. "
thanks for the advice. my mom has also told me to buy a heating pad, which I plan on sending my hubby out for one.

I do feel better., nearly a week later. It still has some pain and discomfort, but I have a lot more mobility of my neck/head now.  

By the way-- my lymphoma is NOT back, it's thyroid cancer, which seems sucky to have 2 cancers by the age of 27, but at least I dont have to go through chemo 2 times in 1 year.
What type of thyroid cancer? Most of them are highly treatable, and if I remember right, it's considered a Non-hodgkins lymphoma...
I have "papillary" or however it's spelled. It is in part of my thyroid and a few nodes in my neck and chest... Actually only 2 nodes now in my chest since the ones in my neck were removed for biopsy.  It's treated by taking radioactive iodine. There are very few side effects, nothing like chemo, so I am looking forward to it compared to chemo.  I am sick of painful IVs!-- I have small veins and the chemo really irritated them.

On march 4th I meet with my new surgeon and hopefully I'll have my thyroid out by mid March. I've been on thyroid meds for over a month now, so I'll just have to continue on those for the rest of my life. No biggie.  I read that I'll have to wait 6 months between the surgery and treatment, so that will be an anxious time, but again, better than chemo!
Unfortunatley, I'm very familiar with cancers of the thyroid. I myself have a solid and dominant nodule on my thyroid that is being monitored every 6 months... so I've researched it quiet a bit.
Papillary carcinoma is the most treatable thyroid cancer with very positive results.
The Thyroid Community here on MedHelp is a fantastic support group with a very knowledgable group of people.
Here's a link to that one if you're interested.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/73?camp=msc&personal_page_id=205819

Best of luck to you!