Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
High Leukocyte count

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

High Leukocyte count

Recently I went to the doctor because of what looked like a honeycomb look rash on my legs.  He did a complete blood workup and when I went to my follow up appointment yesterday he told me that everything came out normal except the fact that my leukocyte count was 60% and normal is around 45%. He also asked me if I had fatigue, runny nose, sore throat etc. I told him that it seems like I just got over a cold over the weekend. And as for the fatigue at times it seems that even with 5-7 hours of sleep I can still take a couple hour naps in the afternoon.  Well he told me that he thinks it might be Mono, but when I looked up high leukocyte count it shows leukemia as a possiblity.  My question is if everything else was normal, and only my leukocyte count was high, what are the possibility that this is Leukemia? I am totally freaked out right now. The last time I had a  high leukocyte count I had my appendix removed. When they went in to remove it there was nothing wrong with it. They figured it was a infection and gave me antibiotics after the surgery.  This has really got me worried. I also smoke too and I am 29 years old.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Your overall WBC would be very elevated not just the leukocytes (I have CML). There are a lot of other reasons though.. I think mainly inflammatory (like mono). Hopefully they will recheck your count and see if it goes back down.