Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Inguinal rash in late-stage MDS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Inguinal rash in late-stage MDS

I am the caregiver for my 80 year-old husband who is transfusion dependent and has late-stage myelodysplastic syndrome.  He receives 3 units of blood every 2 weeks.  Last week his hemoglobin was 4.5 before the transfusion.  Yeah, I know that a really horrible number, but he compensates!  He has had a bilateral deep reddish-purple skin discoloration (I hesitate to call it a rash) in his inguinal area extending to below the scrotum, for the past 4 months.  It is very itchy and Hospice has given me some powder to put on it to relieve the itching.  What do you suppose is causing this - it has clearly defined margins?  Is it common and is it caused by the breakdown of something in the blood?  His hematocrit can get to 14 or 15 before a transfusion.
Tags: rash
Hi.
The deep reddish-purple skin discoloration with associated itchiness could be a fungal infection.  The areas (inguinal, scrotum) you mentioned are particularly susceptible to a fungal skin infection since those areas can be moist especially with warm weather.  Also, patients with myelodysplastic syndrome are immunocompromised.  They are susceptible to opportunistic infections like a fungal infection.  
You can bring him to a dermatologist for further evaluation and management.
Good luck.