Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Is it possible that I have leukemia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Is it possible that I have leukemia?

I am trying not to freak out here so I'm hoping someone can help. Here is my history. In June of this year (5 months ago), I was experiencing extreme pain and tightness under the rib cage that eventually made me nauseous and unable to eat. After 2 weeks of no improvement and a diagnosis of GERD from my family dr, i drove myself to the ER. After 6 hours there, they diagnosed me with "Mesenteric Lymphadenitis" after an ultrasound and CT scan of my lower abdomen, gave me percocet, pepcid and zofran for nausea and had me follow up with a surgeon to check my gall bladder. After the surgeon pretty much said he didn't know why they told me to go see him, I was frustrated and never went back from my follow up blood tests with my GP.

The dr's office tried to get a hold of me for a couple months but I was dodging them as I was mad that my diagnoses were all over the board. Plus, the symptoms subsided for the most part. Finally, my GP called my Mom (my emergency contact) and freaked her out enough where she finally convinced me to at least get the follow up bloodwork done.

less than 40 hours after my bloodwork, I get a call from my GP's office saying my WBC count is 11.7, which is high but not alarmingly so. They scheduled an appointment a week after to do a full CBC to check my levels. My WBC count increased to 12.8 in just a week and I have no symptoms or signs of infection. The only symptoms I have are severe leg pain that I have had for a couple years now and extreme fatigue - both of which have gotten worse over the past 6 months. The pressure under my rib cage is back and my lymphs in my neck are slightly swollen but do not hurt, but I am sleeping 12-13 hours a night and am still exhausted the next day and my leg pain is intolerable at this point.

The results of my CBC are as follows: my WBC count is 12.8, my lymphocytes are 4260 and my eosinophils are 2148 - all high. The Dr called me the next day after I received the CBC and told me to make an appointment right away with a specific Oncologist/Hematologist, mentioning that my counts could indicate leukemia when I asked. I have an appointment with him next week.

Any insight into what could be wrong with me would be great.

Hi kd,
I don't know much about leukemia because I have lymphoma, but I think it's a good idea for you to see a hematologist/oncologist, even if to rule out leukemia or other possible blood disorders.  A hematologist is a blood specialist and has a lot more training in blood disorders than a GP, and hopefully after seeing him you will be a lot closer to knowing what is wrong.  My guess is he will want to do more testing than just blood, possibly more scans or a biopsy, but if I were you I wouldn't fight it.  Sometimes finding the right diagnosis requires ruling out other diseases by doing all sorts of tests, which can take time and a handful of doctors.  For me, it took 3 years before I was finally diagnosed with lymphoma.  Hopefully it won't take that long for you.  

Good luck and please keep us posted after your appointment next week.