Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Leukemia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Leukemia

Low wbc causes leukemia?
Low white count doesn't CAUSE leukemia, but I know that acute leukemia causes low white blood count, but the worst is the ANC, Absolute Neutrophil Count, which is the part of the white blood cell that fights infection. A really low ANC means no immune system to speak of, which results in the complications associated with leukemia.  My son (5years) had an Absolute Neutrophil Count of 0 when he was diagnosed, with 99.9% blasts (immature white blood cells). He didn't get the bruising that usually shows up before diagnosis, but he looked like death within hours. It is the constant plague with leukemia, ineffective white blood count, (ANC), LOW platelet count that shows up, along with the WBC that initially shows up making leukemia a cause for concern. My son had acute lymphoblastic (making his white blood cells never mature and become effective to fight infections)leukemia. Some leukemias make the white blood cells become ineffective at a different stage (acute lymphocytic leukemia).  I hope NO one is suspecting any leukemia, the treatment is the longest than for any other cancer, especially in boys., and the most bombarding, chemo, radiation, intrathecal (lumbar) injections with chemo, and constant platelet transfusions. I think my son, because he presented and initially responded so poorly, his chances were poor from the start. I really don't know about treatments that go well! If anyone is teating a child with acute leukemia, a good relaionship with their oncologist is so vital. Oncologists are notoriously blunt, but the oncology nurses, the most wonderful in the world!
i have to agree with you on oncologist not telling you everything that is going to happen ,i got diagnosed with a.m.l leukemia in dec of 2011 and spent the last 5 months doing chemo,my oncologists would never tell me qabout the maitainance doses each month that i had to do .only when i saw him did he bring it up about monthly chemo,just had my biopsy this past monday ,so on the 27th i'll find out if its in remission.i pray it is..also i agree with you the nurses are the ones that really help you out..god bless........kurt larock