Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Leukemia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Leukemia

Is leukaemia related to HIV in anyway? I was also wondering if some people could describe their initial symptoms of leukaemia wether it be a rash or chronic cough just anything would help thanks.
Tags: hiv leukemia
I have not heard of a link between HIV and Leukemia, however I know there is a link between HIV and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (a cousin to Leukemia).  According to the National Cancer Institute, HIV can also be associated with Hodgkin disease and cancers of the lung, mouth, cervix, and digestive system.  

Symptoms can vary depending on the type of Leukemia, but some common symptoms are fever, fatigue, chills, frequent infections, losing weight without trying, night sweats, swollen lymph nodes, petechiae (little red spots on your skin) and bone pain.  

I hope this helps.

do these little red spots petechiae itchy? Is there also kidney pain associated with leukaemia?
I'm not sure if petechiae is itchy, but it tends to be a flat rash that occurs in clusters.  There can be many causes of petechiae, including muscle strain, couphing, infectious disease and some non-infection disease such as Leukemia.  

Leukemic cells can collect in certain organs such as the spleen, liver and kidney and causing these organs to enlarge.  This can cause abdominal pain.  

I'm assuming these are symptoms you are currently experiencing?  Have you been to a doctor for this?  
I've been to the doctor and I have a skin biopsy tomorrow, I will let you know how everything goes. I tested for all stds and they were negative Im gonna go to the doctor and get a white blood cell count right? Thats how you check for leukaemia?
Good for you.  I'm glad you're being proactive about your health.  

It sounds like your doctor is going to do a CBC (complete blood count).  CBC's are used a lot by doctors to help narrow down a laundry list of diseases.  It measures the levels of red and white blood cells, platelets and several other things.  You can ask your doctor to give you a copy of your blood test and explain it to you in detail.  If the blood test points to leukemia, he may want to proceed with a biopsy.

I wish you luck and yes, please keep us posted.