Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Losing weight without trying

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Losing weight without trying

I am a 42 year old female, am 5' 10' and weigh 139.  My weight is down about 60 lbs in the last 2 years without trying or doing anything different.  Last year I had a work up which revealed no reason for the weight loss.  Recently, I had a CBC done and my eosinophils were 25.3.  I have no allergies to my knowledge and do not have worms or any reason to believe I am infected with a parasite.  My question is this; what is a reasonable amount of time before I recheck a CBC to find out if the eosinophils have calmed down?  I have other vague symptoms that can all be attributed to other things.  I don't want to overreact and pursue a lengthy and costly workup again.  Leukemia continues to pop up on the differential.
60 pounds seems like a lot of weight to lose without trying.  The rule of thumb for weight loss and blood cancer is 10% of your body weight within 6 months.  

As you mentioned, there can be a number of reasons for elevated eosinophils (allergies, medications, infections, parasites, etc).  I would think a reasonable amount of time to recheck would be around 2-3 months.  You mentioned that you had some other symptoms.  Can you elaborate on that?
Up until recently I did not have many symptoms.  But since the beginning of this year, I have had a palpable lump in the maxillary sinus area.  My primary advised to get a CT but I declined and asked to try abx 1st.  The lump and associated pain resolved with abx.  At about 10 days into the 14 day course of abx, I developed many GI symptoms; one day of diarrhea and feeling lightheaded (to the point that I wouldn't drive anywhere), followed by many days of nausea and significant heartburn.  Although I felt like I was going to throw up, I couldn't.  Up until tonight I've had about 4-5 days without symptoms.  I have also had night sweats which I have associated with perimenopause.  What is  your background?