Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Lost health due to toxic mold in home

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Lost health due to toxic mold in home

I have lost my health to due toxic mold in the dream home I purchased 10 yrs. ago. I have been chronically ill for 10 yrs. as my reaction to the mold began within two weeks. My immune system is knocked out, my thyroid, adrenal system, etc.  I have lung disease diagnosed at first as asthma and later as possibly aspergillious.  While medical technology seems to be catching up with health issues related to toxic mold; it is not moving quickly enough for me. My immune system was knocked out due to heavy doses of antibiotics in 2000 (46 wks straight) and I get sick all of the time.
Is there any immunotherapy out there for people like me who are immunosuppressed?  I strive to take care of myself yet am sick or worn out all the time. No quality of life here. And, since nobody can clearly diagnose my lung disease I don't know what to think. Help!
I'm so sorry you have to go through this! I wish more than anything I could offer some suggestions! I can try to work this through with you though.
1. Have your doctors suggested anything for keeping your digestive system healthy by eating yogurts meant to rebuild the health bacteria?
2. Have you considered seeing an Immunologist or endochrinologist for you hormonal issues?
3. Not sure how helpful this may be, but for some going through chemo, IV plasma is sometimes used to boost the immune system. You would have to check with your doctors about this, but it was suggested for me (I have small fiber neuropaty - autoimmune related) to start IVIG therapy. They take anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 different plasma donations, mix them together, sterilize it. The idea is to boost the immune system in those of us with autoimmune disorders.

Maybe if you can get some of the other issuse settled, it may make diagnosisng your lung issues easier?

Please stay in touch. I don't have a lot of answers, but I'll work with you to see what we can come up with!
Thank you for writing.  My sister had pneumonia about 4 times before they took a biopsy of her lungs. The drs. found micobacterium and later pseudomonis and has had antibiotics for yrs - some with an IV that she did by herself at home.  Her immune system was compromised after being a vegetarian for a long time.  Now she is being given an antibiotic administered by a nebulizer and she is finally feeling better but not completely rid of the problem yet.  

What you have said about mold makes me wonder about where she is living and I will mentioned this to her.  
Read your comment to Toxicmold and so glad I did.  If you read my comment to her you will understand why I am writing to you.  I am going to mention to my sister what you said about IV plasma and that it might behoove her to go to an immunologist and an endo dr.

Thanks for writing
I was also EXTREMELY ill from mold in my home.  Of course I had to leave my home and most of my belongings, but more importantly, I found a doctor that has made treating mold related patients his focus.  His name is Ritchie Shoemaker, and people have traveled thousands of miles to see him.  He has a new book called, Surviving Mold.  I would suggest googling him and reading the book.  I was one of his worst cases, and although I still suffer from the effects of the mold, I now live a rather normal life.