Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Low White Cell Count

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Low White Cell Count

I have been someone who has been a high energy and busy person most of my life.  I am 38 years old and the past 2 years feels like the bottom has fallen out!  In this past couple of years I have gone from one infection to another.  I have had Scarletina, Bladder Infections, Stomache Infections and the list goes on.  During this time I have also developed Psoriatic Arthritis and have been put on a Sulfa Drug.  They have been monitoring my blood work up close for the past 3 months and have noted that my white cell count is low most of the time.  The highest it has been in these past months is the bottom end of normal, but lingering around 3.0.  Also, my red cell count is down a bit too around 3.8.  I asked the specialist if the white cell count was due to the sulfa drug, but she indicated that she had blood work back for awhile before the medication and my white cell count has been low for a long time so it is not the drug.  she has referred me back to my doctor who will then need to refer me on to someone else.  Since getting the last reading I have developed another infection and now have a thin white foam on my tongue with a terrible taste in my mouth which will not go away.  Does anyone know what  potentially I might be looking at?  I have been having some difficulty with shortness of breath, but not severe and one in awhile I will get minor chest pain and have no energy anymore which has been very difficult for this high energy person.  Thanks!
What specialist is treating you? ID Specialist (Infecticious Disease)?  Rheumatologist?  

Are you taking any other medications besides the sulfa?

The Rheumatologist is the one who noted the blood count issue and told me she felt it was not linked to the Arthritis and Sulfa drug!  Not taking any other meds except Tylenol for headaches when they come!
Well, I would recommend following up with a Hematologist.  It sounds definitely autoimmune.