Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Lymph Nodes

I posted this in a different forum but I thought I should post it here also.

Here is my question.  In Aug, my general doc said that it felt like my left node was a little swollen in my neck but she didn't seem to worry about it so I basically forgot.  Then sometime in November I noticed them again.  I thought it was related to the camp fire we were sitting in front of so I brushed it off.  After a few weeks I started feeling bad and I was having post nasal and ear congestion.  I went to a doc and she said it was congestion and gave me mucus meds.  Then I went somewhere else and she said I had strep and gave me 10 days of antibiotics.  I took those but my nodes didn't go down.  Those meds were over around Dec 10th.  

Last week I went to an Allergy/Sinus doctor that did a CT scan and allergy testing.  The results came back that I had a small amount of infection in one of my sinus cavities.  He said he wanted to put me on 3 weeks of antibiotics.  He didn't seem very concerned about the lymph nodes since they aren't fixed, tend to move and not huge; one is about 1.5 cm.  

I told him I wanted a 2nd opinion so I went to another doctor the next day.  He said that he would recommend that I take 3 weeks of antibiotics and that he didn't think my lymph nodes were related to cancer.  He said they should decrease within the 3 weeks.  The thing is that it has been a week and they are still the same size.  Here are my questions:

1)  Since Lymphoma only really has one symptom, can someone have it without having fixed, rubbery nodes?  Is there a true way that lymphoma related lymph nodes feel?

2)  Since I'm worried should I go ahead and get a biopsy?  Neither of the doctors are in a real rush but I just want to make sure.  I'm tired of worrying.

Thanks!
Hi.
Aside from presence of palpable nodes, lymphoma may be associated with constitutional signs and symptoms like fatigue, weight loss, fever, and chills.  Most of the time, the lymph nodes of lymphoma are fixed, hard, non-tender.  However, there are cases when these lymph node characteristics are not present.
Oftentimes, even with treatment of infection, the size of the enlarged lymph nodes will not regress.  
You may have a biopsy done if there is persistence of the said lymph nodes, especially if you are having symptoms.
Good luck.
I haven't had any of the other symptoms just the swollen lymph nodes.  I've read so much online that I really think I've freaked myself out.  

How long do you think is a resonable amount of time before I have the biopsy done?  Last week was when both doctors didn't seem very concerned about them.  Another thing, one doctor said that sinus infections don't cause lymph node swelling and the other one did???  Could the slight infection in my sinus and all my post nasal drip be some of the reason they haven't gone down?  My post nasal has really just gotten better in the past 3 - 4 days.

Thanks,

Christy  
Hi Christy.
There is really no rule as to when the biopsy should be done in patients with palpable lymph nodes.
The persistent sinus infection and the resulting post nasal drip could be the reason why your lymph nodes have not gone done in size.  
As mentioned earlier, the lymph nodes may not even regress in size even with treatment of infection.
Don't worry too much.
I went ahead and scheduled the biopsy today.  I really wish it was a lot easier than the process but it is better safe than sorry.  All the stress has made my back & neck hurt so I want to stop worrying.  

My gut says that it is nothing but I need to make sure.  I've prayed about it so we'll see what happens.

Thanks,

Christy
Hi.
Please do post your updates.
Stay positive.
Good luck.
Do you have an update? I'm going through the same thing and wonder if biopsy is worthwhile.