Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Lymph node has grown bigger and painful after alcohol consumption... pl...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Lymph node has grown bigger and painful after alcohol consumption... please help me understand.

Hello.

I just thought i'd post on here to see if anyone could help me with some questions I have.
I'll give you a quick overview, promise i'll keep it short.

I am a 22 year old female, generally good health, weight, non-smoker etc. About 14 months ago I noticed a swollen lymph node under my left ear, near the end of my jaw. It was about 1cm across and 1.5cm in length. It does not hurt at all, unable to move it. I think it is a bit bigger than when i first noticed it.

I have had blood work done, general CBC and HIV tests, all negative. Also, a chest x-ray was performed, which was clear. My doctor referred me to a consultant who dismissed me straight away and just said it was one of those things, and he wasn't concerned at all, this made me feel a little bit foolish at the time.

Anyway, a year has passed and my lymph node has definitely increased in size. My parents and boyfriend can now see it underneath my skin by just looking at me, and I would probably say it's doubled, maybe nearly tripled in size. It is still painless and hard. Now this has obviously got me worried. I have also noticed that after a heavy night of drinking (which isn't very often!) the next day my lymph node can be quite tender, and sort of aches. It's not a shooting pain, but it's definitely more sensitive. Whereas usually it doesn't hurt at all. I am in perfect health otherwise, I rarely get ill.

Would you recommend going back to the doctors and insisting on more tests? Or just ignore that it has increased in size. They made me feel a little bit foolish last time I went and it has put me off going back about the same problem.

If this has happened to anyone else please could you tell me, and what the outcome was?

Thanks :)