Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Lymph question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Lymph question

Hi, well for a while Ive had swollen groin lymph nodes and about a month ago now I had one removed for a biopsy, which came back benign fortunately. Ive been taking care of myself and been getting back into my gym schedule but within the last week ive been having odd pain near where the node was removed. Its not the nodes hurting though, its the lymph vessels and they are hardened. For a couple weeks after the node was removed, it was hurting quite a bit and filling with fluid but its slowly gone away as the doctor said it would. Now the pains are like a really bad bruise, only certain movements and pressure cause pain. The area the hurts extends from the front of my leg/groin around to the side of my leg/rear. Im fairly confident that it is a lymph vessel because of the location and how similar it feels to when my biopsy was swollen. Just was wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has had a similar issue after a lymph node removal.
Hi, that doesn't sound normal. My father had a lymphocaele but it didn't extend far like that. It just might be that whatever caused the lymph node ti look suspicious is now in the lymph vessels, causing a vasculitis/lymphangitis. If it spreads I'd go to a doc without delay. If it isn't any better since you posted, I'd still at least call.

I'd have wondered if physical activity might be the cause, except that you say "its the lymph vessels and they are hardened". That sounds like inflammation.
I'm guessing from your description that you are referring to the lymphatic path as defined by the 'horizontal node group' as here, Figure 3:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/1201/p2103.html

If not, then probably your symptoms are less likely be due to an inflamed lymph vessel.