MEDICARE FROWNS ON FATHER'S PROCRIT DOSAGE

My father is being given Procrit 40mg almost weekly if not weekly yet his numbers are at 10.2, 10.7.  My mother tells me that he feels his best for 79 yrs old when his number is at 12.  

The doctor will not give him the 60mg like he used to.  

We are desperate for help.  

What I keep being told is that Medicare frowns on them giving my father 60mg.

Help, please, help!!!

Hi.

40K units of procrit a week will usually take sometime to cause some significant increase in the hematocrit levels.  Usually a significant jump in hematorcrit levels can only be seen after about 4-6 weeks of injections.  If the 60K units dose cannot be given for any other reason, then I'm afraid that waiting may be the only option.  It is also important that he gets Iron and folic acid supplements to aid in the increase of red blood cells.  Regards.

Thank you for your response to my post.  

My father has been receiving these shots for more than a year either 40K or occassionally 60K.

My mother tells me that he has received a 60K shot two Tuesdays in a row.  Since today is Tuesday he will receive a shot again although I don't know if it will be 40K or 60K.  

Before he was given the 60K shot last Tuesday his RBC was still at 10.  I will be looking forward to hearing what his RBC is today after he has seen the doctor again for his weekly shot. Since he has received 2 - 60K shots in two weeks time my hope that there will be improvement in my father's RBC.

Any additional comments from you would be greatly appreciated.  

Once again, thank you for replying to my post.