Mild Fever with Hight WBC Count

This is a Case for one of my relatives who is been hospitalised for more then 2 weeks.

Intiially she was having her WBC count to 16K ( Normal is 4K - 11K ) and High Fever the wbc Count reached
up to 45 K.She was on ventilater  for 2 days afterthat was mainitaining her oxygen level.

Then she was treated with  meropenem injections and it came down to 18K  after 2 days it again went to 50K.

She was still given   meropenem injections  then it came down to 28 K  and now to 25 K.

we have tested the Bone Marrow test,Blood Culture as well as Sputum test but all results are negative.

Doctors are not aware for the Increase of WBC Count and what the reason of infection.  

Can you please let me know what tests need to done to further Diagonise the Cause of infection?

IDK if this will help you, but my mom (30 yrs ago) had a very bizarre high white blood cell count, during childbirth she got a high fever, she was hospitalized for > a week with 40K + WBC count & they ended up calling it a side effect of the Mediterranian Flu that she had as a child while living in Germany.

She has been fine the past 30 yrs & that was her only symptom, high fever, high CBC, for 1 wk, she was treated with some meds that week & than has been normal.

Has your aunt ever had that flu as a child?