Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
NHL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

NHL

Hello everyone.  First post...

I was recently diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (NHL).  I start a series of 8 weekly Rituxan treatments tomorrow.  So fare I have only told my wife and my boss but have not told any of my friends or most importantly my son.  He's 20, in college, and I really just didn't want him to worry but more to focus on his own life and continuing to excel at school.  

In reading about Rituxan I noted that in some cases patients have a reaction and can die, usually from the intial treatment.  Now I'm questioning whether I should tell my son just in case the worst happens.  

Any thoughts?

I can't see much benefit to making him worry.        
I don't know anything about the drug that you are starting. But I would say...if it was me, and I was your child I would want to know.

I know that we do our best as being parents and keeping our children from worrying free. But just think if something God forbid ever happened to you with all of this your son wouldn't have a clue.

I know that you dont want to mess of his life and have him worry, but I truly feel that he will be able to be there for you and help you through this.

I'm so sorry that you have been dignosed with this and I wish you the best of luck and I will pray that this is treated and you can overcome this.

I will pray for you and your family. I'm a young mother of 3 boys and I wouldn't ever want to worry them..but I know that if it was my parents, no matter what I was doing with my life I would want to knwo about anything serious like this. Trust me..he would want to know.

I can see you are strong, and you being his father, I'm sure you did a great job of raising him and he will be strong too. Good luck and take care.
Thanks Jacksmommy59...

It was very difficult but I did tell my son.  Not sure I did it the way I should have but I had to do it quickly before I got upset and he could see that.  He had a lot of questions and I did my best to answer them.  It feels good not having to hide anything from him now.

The good news is that yesterday I had my first treatment and I had very little side effect from the meds.  I didn't sleep laast night because of a pretty bad headache but other than that I felt pretty good.  Even did a little paint touch-up around the house when I got home.

Thanks again for your post...  ;-)