NHL
Dear concerned,
Could cancerous Non Hodgkins Lymphomas be removed instead of observing the watch and wait. What exactly is the purpose of the linguinal nodes and what are the consequences of its removal. If they are cancerous I do not understand why they can't be removed anyway as they are not serving any useful purpose anymore.
Thnaks for your response.
Friend of Someone diagnosed with NHL
Hi there.

NHL is considered a systemic disease.  This means that removing the involved node through surgery is not the best option and systemic chemotherapy is the standard course of treatment.

However, I believe that your friend has an 'indolent' type of lymphoma which is a slow growing tumor that is generally does not have a good response to chemotherapy.  For indolent lymphomas, a watch and wait approach can be employed as long as there are no significant symptoms (such as fever, weight loss, other organ affectation).  

The inguinal lymph nodes drains excess fluid from the lower extremities.  If you remove these nodes and disrupt the lymphatics, there is a good chance that edema will form in the lower extremities.

Regards.