Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Pink Eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Pink Eye

I was recently exposed to pink eye from my nephew. I have been diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma.  I do not have any symptoms and am practicing standard precautions.  Do I need to worry about this? I am staying at his home for 3 1/2 more weeks while taking a class 12 hours away from my home.  Should I stay somewhere else until he is cleared up?
Hi, I'm assuming that you know for sure that his is the contagious kind, and not from some allergy or chemical in the air, etc.

With that being the case, it is highly contagious and you might or might not have weakened immunity at this point, yet you haven't caught it yourself. So... I don't know. Maybe somebody out there has some experience. If it's been a while that you are exposed to him and yet you haven't gotten it, then my complete *guess* would be that it's okay to take the risk to keep on going as you are now. That's especially true if the lymphoma hasn't yet resulted in your having frequent infections. My father had lymphoma, but never was in a period of having frequent infections.

I can say that years ago, I knew somebody who had pink eye. At the time I was making colloidal silver, which is antimicrobial. She asked for some to try, and she was cleared up quickly. I can't say I'm recommending that, I'm just relating the story.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

Thanks Ken.  Yes...it is the highly contagious kind.  My immune system is low right now so I have been trying to keep my distance and practice standard precautions.  He just came down with it today, or at least the symptoms today.  Hopefully I can dodge this one.  I'm just happy to hear that it won't cause anything detrimental if I do contract it.

Thanks for your help and the info.  :)
>> " I'm just happy to hear that it won't cause anything detrimental if I do contract it."

well, I don't know about that.

It also might depend on whether it's viral or bacterial.
My sister just spoke with my nephew's doctor.  He said that he has the viral conjunctivitis.  He also said that I should be just fine unless my nephew rubs his eyes and then touches mine.  I thought that it was also airborne.  Anyway...just scoured her house and I think by tomorrow...he will have been on the antibiotics and eye drops for 3 days.  I still have no symptoms so, I think I will be fine. Woo hoo!

Thanks for your help!