Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Possible Hodgkin's Lymphoma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Possible Hodgkin's Lymphoma?

Hi everybody,

so, I went to the doctor first about chest pain. This has all been checked out now (blood test & X-ray) and everything is normal. The chest pain is still there, they think it is costochondritis (inflammation of the tissue between the ribs). The weird thing is I also have sore lymph nodes in my throat, but they're not swollen. They hurt at random times, often after I drink alcohol. I've had all this for ~6 months now. The doctor mostly focused on the chest pain, but even though the lymph nodes are not excessively painful, it bothers me. Also, my shoulders and neck hurt in general, like a hardening of the muscles. I read about Hodgkin's lymphoma and I was wondering if that could also explain the chest pain, it is mostly around my breasts (I'm a 23 female, by the way) and only hurts when I press on it. I would appreciate any advice and information. Cheers!
Oh, and I don't know if this is relevant, but my gums are often swollen and tend to bleed when I brush my teeth. This started a bit before all the chest pain stuff begun.

Guro
Hi, there is a list of threads here:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/search/139?utf8=%26%23x2713%3B&query=alcohol

The opinions on alcohol effects are all over the place, from Hodgkin's to allergy to vasodilation to being a mystery.

As far as bleeding, that could be lots of things, too - the way that a blood cancer would cause it is when the bad cancer cells infiltrate the marrow and crowd out the good cells that produce platelets. Do you also have shortness of breath or lots of colds?
Thanks for your reply. I do actually have lots of colds, I caught around 3 colds this winter, with cough and sore throat and all the typical symptoms. Lately I seem to have a chronic runny nose... Shortness of breath I can't say for sure, I wasn't all that sporty before and now with the chest pain I can't go running at all. I've tested the alcohol-pain thing, and I don't think it's that relevant in my case, I still have random pain in the lymph nodes in my throat but it doesn't seem to be associated with alcohol consumption. I've noticed yesterday that I've got lots of little knots in the tissue ABOVE my breasts. They are not underneath my armpits either... This is all so confusing! None of my symptoms make sense!  Thanks a lot for your help though! I really appreciate any suggestions and opinions :)
First off: did your doctor order a CBC? That important but simple test counts your blood cells.

The "little knots" might be "shotty lymph nodes". If you can't find a photo, maybe I can locate one.

Lymph nodes typically swell when the number of immune system cells (lymphocytes) inside them multiply in order to fight invaders like bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi. The swelling stretches the surrounding membrane (capsule) and that's what hurts.

So the nodes in your neck could be swelling from a virus cold. But shotty nodes on the chest would not be a usual reaction.
Also, is it a bad time for allergies in your area? You might find an online map.