Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Possible causes for persistenly enlaged node?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Hi.  I am a 25 year old female with no current (known) medical conditions, and am not on any medications.  I had a CT scan a few weeks ago to check for an incisional hernia (came back negative) and one of my left inguinal lymph nodes was seen to be enlarged.  It turns out that this same lymph node was already enlarged two years ago, as seen on a CT scan I had when I had appendicitis.  At the time, the enlarged node was not even noted by the radiologist on the report, due to the fact that I was fighting infection at the time and a swollen lymph node was not anything out of the ordinary.  Now, two years later, the node is still enlarged, and has grown noticably.  It is currently 2.6 cm X 2.9 cm X 2.9 cm. It is too deep to be easily felt by the doctor, and does not seem to be causing me any discomfort.  I had a CT-guided fine needle aspiration performed last week, which has come back negative for cancer cells.  My doctor says that he does not know why the node is enlarged, but suggests a follow-up ultrasound in a few months to check for any changes.  I am wondering what other possible reasons for this enlarged lymph node there are . . . I am generally healthy, have no fever, no swelling, warmth, or redness around the node, etc. and this swelling appears to be limited to just the one node.  I'm still worried that there may be an uderlying malignancy that was not detected (although the surgeon took 6 samples from the node during the biposy to avoid the risk of a false negative.)  Any thoughts?  Should I seek a second opinion or just wait and see what the node looks like in a few months?  If there is no infection and no cancer, why has this node been enlarged and apparently growing for so long?  Thanks for your time!